Does caffine speed up insulin absorption?

Daver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Malicious liars, people who interrupt, war.
Hi,

I've noticed recently that I get a quicker drop in glucose if I have a coffee after a meal. Usually I'm fine although have very occasionally hypoed as a result but just wondered whether caffine is known to have this affect?

Cheers

Dave

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
from what I've read it doesn't speed up absorption, but reduces liver glucose production from glycogen as caffiene increase free fatty acids in the blodstream. The effect may be the same though as there is less BG to play with rather than it being used up more quickly

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.
Hi Dave,

Nope caffine won't drop the sugars. In fact during exercising in type 1s it will stablise the sugars and avoid sudden drops (great for pre-workout drinks!) due to the mentioned switch to fats as fuel source. Don't think it should make much difference if your insulin is just right to cover the eaten carbs.

Frankie

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Riesenburg said:
Hi Dave,

Nope caffine won't drop the sugars. In fact during exercising in type 1s it will stablise the sugars and avoid sudden drops (great for pre-workout drinks!) due to the mentioned switch to fats as fuel source. Don't think it should make much difference if your insulin is just right to cover the eaten carbs.

Frankie

Hi Frankie,

I think your logic would be right for exercise, plus the ergogenic effects of the caffiene as well. The original question though was not in the context of exercise. If you have the right bolus to cover meal carbs, you'll still have background insulin acting, so would that not lead to a gradual drop in sugars?

Dave

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Daver, I had this discussion with doctors at the imperial college- charing cross hospital as I love espresso and drink a lot of them daily. Their opinion is that caffeine increases blood sugar level. Too difficult for me to explain why. At present I am using a CGM (continuous glucose monitoring) and actually I can see that soon after I drink a double espresso (with no sugar) my blood sugar rises a bit. The spike is higher if I'm drinking with empty stomach. You can find some information in Internet if it helps. Stefano

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood sugar has always risen after drinking coffee, but the caffeine helps me feel so much better in general. After a 10 month break from coffee I have recently started to have at least one cup a day and found a lot of my aches and pains have since almost disappeared.

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Completely agree with you Dodo. I'm not giving up drinking coffee :)
Anyway I have to admit doctors have not suggested me to avoid drinking it. Only suggestion they gave me to be aware of the effect it can have.

Daver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Malicious liars, people who interrupt, war.
Thanks for your feedback, everyone. It's greatly appreciated.

All the best

Dave