Does having a bath raise BG

Reetpetite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Crowds, traffic jams, pollution, housework
Hi all,

Silly question for you!

Has anyone noticed that taking a bath or shower raises their bg? I couldn't understand why my bg at the 2 hour stage after breakfast was higher than after one hour and I have only had scrambled eggs for brekkie.

This morning - on wakening I was 5.8, then had scrambled eggs and one hour later was 6.4. I then had a bath and two hours after my breakfast I am 7.3. This had happened several times over the past months and I have only just twigged what it might be - it then takes me nearly all day to get it down into the 5's again.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Rita

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya rita,
we are all different so it may do in yourself but ive certainly found a hot bath usually lowers my bg :D

jopar

Your breakfast is high in protien being scambled eggs, about 50+% of the protien will turn into glucose and will raise your blood sugars, but it does this at a lot slower rate than a carb would, so it might be that it's this causing your bg raise rather than the bath/shower

I would one morning, miss the bath and compare test results..

I know that if I have a hot bath my BG will go downwards, but as tosty says it's individual really, some have no effect, otheres will either raise or fall

lilibet

Agree with jopar
Might be combination of slow release food, bit of dawn phenomenon still about.Best way to find out is to not take a bath. Then if you still see a rise, you will know to look at something else

I find bath lowers bg but thats because I take insulin and it helps it absorp and times i take bath usually coincide with insulin (well, lets be honest with sometimes 6 injections per day, something is bound to clash with it!)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Rita,

In all my years being type 1, I have never noticed a hot bath causing a increase in bg, but that's not to say that it may not in your case. I, like other members who have replied and are type 1, have the opposite effect of lowering bg, more so after injecting insulin. As you are type 2, I can't really say, but compare your 2 hour readings over a week, and alternate having a bath every other day and see how things go.

Looking at your bg's, you have great control and personally I wouldn't worry to much about a 7.3 reading every so often, as long as it comes back down pre-dinner, it will be fine.

Nigel

Reetpetite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Crowds, traffic jams, pollution, housework
Thanks for your response everyone. I will do as suggested and take a shower for a day or two and see if I get the same results - many thanks.

Rita

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Rita,

Don't have the water to hot, see if this makes a difference too.

Nigel

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Does having a bath raise BG?

That rather depends upon who is in the bath with you. 8)