does having type 1 diabetes make you put on weight?

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
The insulin can cause weight gain for a lot of people. If you want to avoid this, don't have too many carbs.

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
look at celebrity photos who had diabetes type 1 such as Mary Tyler Moore, Halle Berry and Sharon Stone

it is very possible to work out a good way to manage diabetes so good luck to you

learntopogo

I've been diagnosed Type one for 6 months and have actually found it tricky to put on weight. I lost 2 stone before I was diagnosed back in June and I'm still 1/2 a stone off my previous, healthy weight.

I'm guessing this is because I've cut out the sugars I used to eat in things like biscuits, sweets, chocolate, cakes etc (bar the odd slip!) I guess that old nugget of eating healthily and trying to get exercise (easy said then done when a Type 1 diabetic) is just as applicable, if not more so, if you're looking to keep weight off / lose weight.

But hey, I'm only 6 months in, who knows what might happen over Christmas!

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
BethR said:
Ive been diagnosed for 2 weeks now, and im really worried ill put on weight. Anyone have any advice?

I've been diabetic for 15 years now. When I was 11 or 12, I was made to put on 10kg by the hospital to have my weight at a healthy level.

I've never had a massive issue with my weight, I went up to about 10st 9lb at my heaviest about 2 years ago when I first started seeing my partner. I'm now at 9st 7lb (63kg), with exercise and generally looking after myself and eating better. Diabetes doesn't have to mean weight gain, you just need to balance your diet and exercise effectively.