1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

does having type 1 diabetes make you put on weight?

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by BethR, Dec 5, 2012.

1. BethR

BethR · Member

Ive been diagnosed for 2 weeks now, and im really worried ill put on weight. Anyone have any advice?

2. the_anticarb

the_anticarb · Well-Known Member

The insulin can cause weight gain for a lot of people. If you want to avoid this, don't have too many carbs.

3. initforlove

initforlove Type 2 · Well-Known Member

look at celebrity photos who had diabetes type 1 such as Mary Tyler Moore, Halle Berry and Sharon Stone

it is very possible to work out a good way to manage diabetes so good luck to you

4. learntopogo

learntopogo · Member

I've been diagnosed Type one for 6 months and have actually found it tricky to put on weight. I lost 2 stone before I was diagnosed back in June and I'm still 1/2 a stone off my previous, healthy weight.

I'm guessing this is because I've cut out the sugars I used to eat in things like biscuits, sweets, chocolate, cakes etc (bar the odd slip!) I guess that old nugget of eating healthily and trying to get exercise (easy said then done when a Type 1 diabetic) is just as applicable, if not more so, if you're looking to keep weight off / lose weight.

But hey, I'm only 6 months in, who knows what might happen over Christmas!

5. mattr

mattr · Active Member

Eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly :)

6. Lucypieee

Lucypieee · Well-Known Member

I've been diabetic for 15 years now. When I was 11 or 12, I was made to put on 10kg by the hospital to have my weight at a healthy level.

I've never had a massive issue with my weight, I went up to about 10st 9lb at my heaviest about 2 years ago when I first started seeing my partner. I'm now at 9st 7lb (63kg), with exercise and generally looking after myself and eating better. Diabetes doesn't have to mean weight gain, you just need to balance your diet and exercise effectively.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook