does it get any better

jillybean465

Dislikes
being a diabete
hi am new on this :)

would love to find out from diabetes if life gets any better having this, ave had diabetes for 11 years am 23 years old and finding it harder and harder to deal with. Every morning a wake up a never feel good am on 5 injections a day my hb1c is at 13.2 but no nurses or doctors seem to be telling me what to do to get this down. would love to talk to other diabetes to help me get on a bit better x

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Jillybean

I'm a fairly new Type 2 so don't have enough knowledge to help you much, but be reassured - someone will be in touch soon who really knows what they're talking about and will be able to help you.

This is a great forum, so many friendly, knowledgeable and helpful people.

I have a Type 1 friend (sadly doesn't have a computer so she can't comment) who is nearly 90 and lives an amazing life, so don't give up hope!

Vivienne

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Jillybean,

you have come to the right place, there so many knowledgable people on this forum. I am also type 2 so I don't know much about type 1. wait and see you will get advice I am sure.

Take care

Bernie :)

alaska

Hi Jillybean

I'm type 1 and had not very good control up until I was 27, which was 2 years back.

The turning point for me were thanks to a few things:

1. being really honest with myself -probably for the first time since diagnosis
2. finding this forum -for advice and inspiration
3. really committing to change things

I set myself a challenge to try and commit myself to see out a month of getting my control into shape.

To help get my control back into shape and also to motivate myself I committed to:

1. get myself into a regular routine -eating at similar times each day, injecting my night time at roughly the same time each day
2. getting the basics right -such as being more careful about not missing injections, being more thoughtful about when best to test
3. making a commitment to write down and learn from my numbers each day

These days, I don't write down my numbers each day but when I spent this this first month doing so, it made a huge difference and gave me a real platform of understanding to build on.

So I'd say that the writing down of numbers each day within this first month was probably the most important part of getting my sugar levels under control.

Before this my numbers felt like playing the national lottery. Nowadays my numbers are heaps better. Good luck with making progress :)

Edmund

jillybean465

Dislikes
being a diabete
thanks every1 for the help its true sometimes u just get so fed up but this site picks u up and makes u think a can do it, its good hearing from people that nos what ur talking about
thanks jill

aceone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a daughter and son both type 1. The best thing that happend to them is they went onto insulin pumps (my daughter, 29,) has since had a transplant. It is a bit more intence. But the advantage is you can eat when you want or even skip a meal. Plus you have better control. I think you would be ideal for it. Hope I have helped. Ian

sugar2

Hi, I have been T1 for over 30 years now...and at 21, I could have written a very similar post.

I think I discovered that you have to actively help yourself...and when you do, and start asking questions of your Drs, they are pretty good at getting you the help and support you need. Alas, for me, it took retinopathy at 25 to make me see teh errors of my ways...but that was over 13 years ago now...and things have got better and better. having better control makes me feel better...both physically and mentally...I guess it is that being in control thing. The thing that turned it around for me was testing my blood sugar...lots. I then self taught myself how best to adjust my insulin to hwat I was eating, and what my blood sugar was...this had a huge impact. I then went on a car counting course, which brought a bit more method to me madness. I have since gone on to a pump...and love it, but it is hard work.

My advice would be to follow the link tothe online DAfne course...it is in the T1 section info section...take a deep breath...and start again. forget what has gone before, from now on, try and improve your control. Don't get so paranoid that one high number makes you think that it isn't worth it...it is, although I can not pretend that it is easy.

All the very best, and stay on teh forum, there are some lovely people who can really help you.