Does ketoacidosis always mean future complications?

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
Hi people. Well it's a thought that has been on my mind for some time and I seem to see little evidence on the internet to answer my question. I was diagnosed late (I know I'm not the only one here) but when diagnosed I was 36.7mmol and had ketoacidosis as my body had started eating away at itself. I was wondering if anyone knows if this actually means inevitable complications in the future. I'm struggling to get on top of my BG's right now also (but remaining strong and positive) but am concerned about what the future holds. Am I just being silly or is this a normal thought process that other diabetics have?

ChezMorgan

Dislikes
Peppers , Spiders, War and people who think they are better than me, we are all equal !
I wouldn't say its inevitable at all, it depends on how long you had ketoacidosis and how YOUR body coped with it and how your getting on now. As a type 1 its my understanding that in general, complications come from long* term high's.
* The more high's & ketones you have and the longer you have them the more complications you are likely to suffer in the future.

I am sure someone will have a more comprehensive answer but hope this helps

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Don't worry about it Rach79. I was literally off the scale when I was first diagnosed but here I am 27 years later with no complications at all, despite many years of not giving a ****.
You strike me as a diligent and intelligent person, so all the odds are firmly in your favour.

fergus

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya rach,
try not to worry,if your high over a long period thats where problems occur,as for highs on diagnosis most type 1s have high levels of ketones when diagnosed,
so dont worry x

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
Hi, well ok I guess I'm worrying over nothing :| I have been fine since diagnosis with regards to microvascular vessels being totally in order and my eye tests, blood pressure etc. has also been fine. I miscalculated my HB1Ac levels at one time as I thought they were 9% but realised recently that they are only about 7% which makes me feel a lot better :!: I think possibly the key right now is keeping the HB1Ac's down (I'm aiming for 6.5% but need to gain tighter control). As for my levels being high for a long time - I can't guage how long they were high for but I was in hospital for two weeks on a drip they were 37.6mmol and I was skinny at school for years although I ate everything. I definitely had ketoacidosis, but I don't know how long for. I wonder if it is worth asking the clinic how many keytones I had in my body at the time of diagnosis and how it would affect me now :?: Anyway maybe as you say it is a case of how I'm coping now. Fergus, I too didn't look after myself too well the first few years. I went out partying and drinking the first few years and trying to act like a 'non-diabetic' which probably meant my BG wasn't so great but the fact is I know now to keep control and have been trying hard for a few years now. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and keep control now and try not too worry too much. Thanks for the advice and calming me down :!: