Does my pancreas only works with very high blood sugar?

Haggoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have diabetes type 1 for 8 years now, and I'm still facing difficulties controlling it, so sometimes I am doing great and eating healthy and everything and sometimes I mess it all up, but I can't help but noticing that whenever I eat alot of sugar containing food, and my blood sugar gets really high (using same doses I normally take of insulin) it falls to 70's and 80's several times during the day, so could my pancreas be working but only in cases that my blood sugar is very high? And how can I confirm such a theory?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Haggoo :) Some Type 1s do still make tiny amounts of insulin, but not enough to control their blood sugar properly.

Do you count carbs? What insulins do you use and when?

Haggoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Haggoo :) Some Type 1s do still make tiny amounts of insulin, but not enough to control their blood sugar properly.

Do you count carbs? What insulins do you use and when?
I take mixtard novorapid 16 units twice a day, and 14 units of lantus at 10 pm,
And no I dont really count the carbs

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take mixtard novorapid 16 units twice a day, and 14 units of lantus at 10 pm,
And no I dont really count the carbs

I'm not familiar with Mixtard Novorapid. Is it a mixed insulin @Haggoo ?

Counting carbs is crucial for good control. It's about matching insulin to carbs in order to get smoother sugars. If you haven't been shown how to, push to have it explained. It's not hard :) I was taught at diagnosis and it made things a whole lot easier.

Reactions: Haggoo

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are on a mixed insulin, it's likely that it's that that's pushing your blood sugar down @Haggoo

Haggoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are on a mixed insulin, it's likely that it's that that's pushing your blood sugar down @Haggoo
Sorry its just novorapid, I used to take mixtard so I mixed it up,, I know I haven't been educated about diabetes at first so I am trying my best to get to know more about dealing with it, so I will definitely put that in mind and try to know more about matching insulin and carbs.
Thank you so much

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry its just novorapid, I used to take mixtard so I mixed it up,, I know I haven't been educated about diabetes at first so I am trying my best to get to know more about dealing with it, so I will definitely put that in mind and try to know more about matching insulin and carbs.
Thank you so much

Ok, that makes more sense :) Well, in that case it's probably either your Novorapid still acting, or the action of the background Lantus that makes your sugar go down :)

I recommend the book Think Like A Pancreas. It's a great book for Type 1s. There's a lot of info in it, but it's very readable and written in a friendly way.

Reactions: Haggoo

Haggoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, that makes more sense :) Well, in that case it's probably either your Novorapid still acting, or the action of the background Lantus that makes your sugar go down :)

I recommend the book Think Like A Pancreas. It's a great book for Type 1s. There's a lot of info in it, but it's very readable and written in a friendly way.
I will try to get it, thank you so much for your help