1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Does my pancreas only works with very high blood sugar?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Haggoo, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Haggoo

Haggoo Type 1 · Member

I have diabetes type 1 for 8 years now, and I'm still facing difficulties controlling it, so sometimes I am doing great and eating healthy and everything and sometimes I mess it all up, but I can't help but noticing that whenever I eat alot of sugar containing food, and my blood sugar gets really high (using same doses I normally take of insulin) it falls to 70's and 80's several times during the day, so could my pancreas be working but only in cases that my blood sugar is very high? And how can I confirm such a theory?

2. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Hi @Haggoo :) Some Type 1s do still make tiny amounts of insulin, but not enough to control their blood sugar properly.

Do you count carbs? What insulins do you use and when?

3. Haggoo

Haggoo Type 1 · Member

I take mixtard novorapid 16 units twice a day, and 14 units of lantus at 10 pm,
    And no I dont really count the carbs

4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

I'm not familiar with Mixtard Novorapid. Is it a mixed insulin @Haggoo ?

Counting carbs is crucial for good control. It's about matching insulin to carbs in order to get smoother sugars. If you haven't been shown how to, push to have it explained. It's not hard :) I was taught at diagnosis and it made things a whole lot easier.

• Like Like x 1
  5. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

If you are on a mixed insulin, it's likely that it's that that's pushing your blood sugar down @Haggoo

6. Haggoo

Haggoo Type 1 · Member

Sorry its just novorapid, I used to take mixtard so I mixed it up,, I know I haven't been educated about diabetes at first so I am trying my best to get to know more about dealing with it, so I will definitely put that in mind and try to know more about matching insulin and carbs.
    Thank you so much

• Like Like x 1
  7. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Ok, that makes more sense :) Well, in that case it's probably either your Novorapid still acting, or the action of the background Lantus that makes your sugar go down :)

I recommend the book Think Like A Pancreas. It's a great book for Type 1s. There's a lot of info in it, but it's very readable and written in a friendly way.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Haggoo

Haggoo Type 1 · Member

I will try to get it, thank you so much for your help

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook