1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Does one of your fingers hurt more??

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by xendistar, Dec 4, 2014.

1. xendistar

xendistar Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When I test my BS I use each finger in turn for both pre and post meal testing (testing on either side of the ball of the finger). But on one finger on my left hand it is more painful than the others (the finger next to my thumb), is it normal to have a finger which is more painful? I am not talking agonising pain but simply it is several time more painful than when the test is done on any of my other fingers.

2. ElyDave

ElyDave Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't have one finger that hurtsmore doing the test, but I do have one that seems to remain more painful afterwards

3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

They advise that you don't use your index fingers and thumbs ( can't remember why), but if a finger hurts then it's best left alone until the finger heals.

4. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Yes, I don't use my right index finger any more now, because after a few initial stabs it seemed to be much more sensitive than the others. My left one I've never used anyway as I'm left handed, and use it a lot, so didn't want to risk any "issues"! In general I find I can get more blood more easily from my right hand.

Robbity

5. adrian207

adrian207 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's because they are the digits you use to pick things up. I got told the same thing.:)

6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

All mine hurt equally, except my thumbs, which I do use.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I've never tried my thumbs, possibly because read something here or elsewhere about not using these and index fingers - after I began testing.

Since as a type 2 I'm "NOT SUPPOSED TO TEST" I never got any medical advice as to how it should be done.:wideyed::nurse:

Robbity

8. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I gave up last night I had 4 attempts, wasted 2 strips and decided enough!! We're having our boiler replaced so have no heating and my hands are cold at the best of times. I'm not even going to attempt it until the heating and hot water are back on later today particularly as, with workmen in the kitchen etc, food wise it will probably be a slightly carby sandwich for lunch so I know what affects that may have anyway!

9. Nuthead

Nuthead Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Don't use this one.
    santa-flipping-the-bird-smiley-emoticon.gif
    You could get a false reading. :)

• Like Like x 4
  10. AlexMBrennan

AlexMBrennan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I find that I get the most blood and least pain from the outside of the little finger, which means that all the others hurt more

11. Kezzer4321

Kezzer4321 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Your are so naughty nuthead....but funny lol

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook