Does one of your fingers hurt more??

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
When I test my BS I use each finger in turn for both pre and post meal testing (testing on either side of the ball of the finger). But on one finger on my left hand it is more painful than the others (the finger next to my thumb), is it normal to have a finger which is more painful? I am not talking agonising pain but simply it is several time more painful than when the test is done on any of my other fingers.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have one finger that hurtsmore doing the test, but I do have one that seems to remain more painful afterwards

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They advise that you don't use your index fingers and thumbs ( can't remember why), but if a finger hurts then it's best left alone until the finger heals.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I don't use my right index finger any more now, because after a few initial stabs it seemed to be much more sensitive than the others. My left one I've never used anyway as I'm left handed, and use it a lot, so didn't want to risk any "issues"! In general I find I can get more blood more easily from my right hand.

Robbity

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They advise that you don't use your index fingers and thumbs ( can't remember why), but if a finger hurts then it's best left alone until the finger heals.
It's because they are the digits you use to pick things up. I got told the same thing.:)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never tried my thumbs, possibly because read something here or elsewhere about not using these and index fingers - after I began testing.

Since as a type 2 I'm "NOT SUPPOSED TO TEST" I never got any medical advice as to how it should be done.:wideyed::nurse:

Robbity

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up last night I had 4 attempts, wasted 2 strips and decided enough!! We're having our boiler replaced so have no heating and my hands are cold at the best of times. I'm not even going to attempt it until the heating and hot water are back on later today particularly as, with workmen in the kitchen etc, food wise it will probably be a slightly carby sandwich for lunch so I know what affects that may have anyway!

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't use this one.
santa-flipping-the-bird-smiley-emoticon.gif
You could get a false reading. :)

Reactions: 4 people

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that I get the most blood and least pain from the outside of the little finger, which means that all the others hurt more