Does the weather and light hours effect your dosage?

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
Does your insulin amount increase when the weather gets colder and darker?
I have found that I usually go down to a very low dose in the summertime, this year I could stop taking novorapid at both lunch and tea time because my sugar levels were just normal. I carb count so no real change in diet. However, I noticed that others on the forum were mentioning that their sugars were suddenly higher, like mine, and I wondered if anyone else was aware of how weather and light changes their dosage? :?:

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Geri said:
Does your insulin amount increase when the weather gets colder and darker?
I have found that I usually go down to a very low dose in the summertime, this year I could stop taking novorapid at both lunch and tea time because my sugar levels were just normal. I carb count so no real change in diet. However, I noticed that others on the forum were mentioning that their sugars were suddenly higher, like mine, and I wondered if anyone else was aware of how weather and light changes their dosage? :?:

I tend to find that extremes of temperature affect my blood sugar level. If it is very hot or very cold my level will generally drop from my normal 6-7 down to 4's or even 3's. It would seem fairly obvious that when the body is working harder to maintain it's temperature it would use more energy to do so and therefore lower the blood sugar. But I can't say that light has ever played a role in changing my patterns.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes it does, my basal insulin has increased by 2 units over the last few weeks.

michellem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hmmm, interesting, not thought about it before but I have just put my lantus up by 1 unit and think I might put it up another over the weekend.