does this mean I have not been getting Basal?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Gaz-M, not familiar with Diasend but your correction bolus mid-morning might mean that your basal rates need increasing, it takes a while to get the basal rates right but if unsure run your bg readings by your pump DSN.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Myself and the DSN have been on the phone evertyday @noblehead and have adjusted most of the time blocks as I have had alot of hypos but today they have been through the roof and the set change I have just done has failed I think as the BS is still on the rise :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It will take time to see any noticeable changes in your bg levels if you've just done a set change, did you do a correction dose whilst changing the set to bring your levels down? Usually it can take up to 90 -120mins to see a reduction in bg levels, if concerned ring your pump manufactures customer support and ask for guidance, they are usually manned 24 hours a day.

Reactions: 2 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
will keep an eye on them and phone them if need be

Thankyou for the reply

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
will keep an eye on them and phone them if need be

Thankyou for the reply

Do ring them for reassurance if nothing else, in the first few weeks of pumping I rang my pump manufacturer at 11pm one night :)

iHs

Have a look at your basal rate time blocks to see if the dsn has put in 0.00u to be delivered because you were going low

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Have a look at your basal rate time blocks to see if the dsn has put in 0.00u to be delivered because you were going low

Ive copied them out of the booklet that the rep had wrote them down (and adjusted them as suggested by my DSN) as a new set of time blocks. The old cannula was not bent so I changed the tubing aswell and will test my blood sugar at 11 o'clock.

The past 2 days 7 of the original blocks have been reduced, I started on a TTD of 11.2 units and now down to 9.47 units, teatime bolus has been reduced from 1.5/10 carbs to 1/10 carbs and last night was a good night, still woke up hypo at 2.2mmol so a few more early blocks were changed today. DSN will be calling tomorrow so will see what she thinks has been the problem

Thankyou for the reply iHs :)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
P.S BS is now at 7mmol so happy days :D

Reactions: 4 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
me too .............. PHEW :D

Just been a rough couple of days and when I thought it was getting sorted today happened, part of the course I suppose

iHs

There's a big difference between carb ratios of 1.5u to 10g and 1.0u to 10g (bit like 1u to 6g) might be better to adjust to 1u to 8g or 1.2u to 10g and see how that works

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
yeah you could be right, glad I took the week off work to get this sorted otherwise I think I would have ended up in an ambulance,

Work in progress as they say :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
me too .............. PHEW :D

Just been a rough couple of days and when I thought it was getting sorted today happened, part of the course I suppose
Wake up gaz you are dreaming again, it can some people months to sort their basal out a few are lucky and manage it within a couple of weeks.
You will have a lot of ups and downs so don't worry about it just plod on and do not make to many changes in one go. Sort the basal first before you do anything else. Night basals are no1 on the list to sort out first. ( I do a good line in matchsticks if you need any) :)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I do a good line in matchsticks if you need any

This made me giggle hahaha

Well woke up with a BS of 5.4 so looks like the blocks that were changed yesterday maybe ok, Ive been staying up really late
@CarbsRok just to get them sorted and have set my alarm for 4-5 am the other 2 days but with staying up after 1-2am I have slept through it :(

Maybe an early night tonight :)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
much better thankyou @noblehead 5.4 on waking, my DSN has just called and she is happy just to let the bloods run as they are until Monday (unless they go to high then I should bolus to get it down) just to see what they settle as.

Thankyou all for the replies

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is good news, once you get the basal rates right all will fall into place, just don't get too complacent as they'll likely change again over the next weeks or months. Good luck.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Bloods are all over at the moment and my DSN asked me not to change any of the time blocks until I see her on Teusday as alot of them already have been adjusted and she wants to see what is happening.

BS at 12.10 18.1 :( no bolus and 12.25 8.8 !!! it is like this all day and getting annoyed with it now, just wish it was Teusday