1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Does type 1 count as a disability?

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by Useless Pretty Boy, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Useless Pretty Boy

Useless Pretty Boy · Well-Known Member

So I just applied for a job with the BBC. Under the equal opportunity guidelines, I put in that I was disabled with a long term illness. Perhaps I was encouraged by the fact that if you are disabled, the BBC will always interview you if you meet the minimum job requirements (which I do). I don't think of it as a disability as such, but it seemed to fit that little box and apparently, if I don't declare it, get the job, then encounter a situation where something bad happens, they can fire me for it. If I declare it, they can't.

Am I playing the system here, do you think it's a valid claim?

2. kegstore

kegstore · Well-Known Member

You can always explain your reasoning at the interview that you'll now get! Good luck - BBC is a great name to have on your CV, still I think?

3. Spiral

Spiral · Well-Known Member

Because you need to pay attention to managing your long term health condition at work it is covered by the DDA - you will become ill if you don't manage your eating/insulin.

It is valid to mention it at some point, usually at the point they are checking out your references and you are completing the health questionnaire.

I don't think it is a problem to mention it at this point, but they will know it is a health management issue rather than a disability.

4. Useless Pretty Boy

Useless Pretty Boy · Well-Known Member

That was what I was thinking. Better safe than sorry, isn't it? And yeah! This will most definitely look good on the CV if I can wangle my way into it! :mrgreen:

5. rogbert

rogbert Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Having diabetes whatever sort is not a disability full stop. what about cancer and heart desease you could go on .I was stopped from driving a vehicle on the tarmac of a london airport becos i have type 2 at the time i was on tablets the airport nurse who examined me said i was not fit to drive in case i had a hypo.

6. cugila

cugila · Master

rogbert

When you say that Diabetes is not a disability I presume you mean it shouldn't stop you from doing most things ?? I agree, with exceptions.

Diabetes IS a disability under many Acts and is specifically mentioned in DDA, Benefits, Vat Exemptions and others.

As for the Nurse and her advice, it doesn't surprise me. Some HCP's have no idea about a lot of things Diabetes related.

7. Awkwardboy

Awkwardboy · Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook