Dog walk causes rise in BS?

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I'm a new type 2 and low carbing. I took a reading of 6.7 before a half hour dog walk and then tested again - 8.3 - I thought exercise was supposed to reduce blood sugar levels?

Very confused

Cath

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Hi Cath

Depends where you were post prandially speaking. Had you eaten a slow release low carb meal, that might have raised your levels a little later than expected - as some of the LOW GI foods do?

Exercise can sometimes temporarily raise levels - but they then go down again fairly quickly if you don't eat anything before re testing.

You are not alone in your confusion! The rules, such as they are, are always changing and everything is very individual - for example in a book I have called Diabetes the First year by Gretchen Becker, she uses a phrase whenever she is giving advice - "Your mileage may vary" which she shortens to YMMV on almost every topic related to diabetes!

I think the release of sugar into the blood stream varies with the kind of exercise you are doing. It has definitely gone up for me sometimes, before dropping nicely an hour or so later.

Cathy N

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, im afraid at first your blood sugars run around all over the place and make no sense at all, just keep doing the right things and they will settle down to a nice eveness which will help you figure out the triggers please be patient and don't get disheartened it will sort itself out with your help
good luck!