Dogs for Diabetics

pebbles22

Has anyone got any information regarding assistance dogs for people with type 1. I read an article a while ago about training dogs to detect when a person is either having a hypo I think this is more relevant for children with diabetes, or a hypo is imminent.

thanks

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
pebbles22 said:
Has anyone got any information regarding assistance dogs for people with type 1. I read an article a while ago about training dogs to detect when a person is either having a hypo I think this is more relevant for children with diabetes, or a hypo is imminent.

thanks

Do a search on the Forum or look here.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8431&p=125273&hilit=assistance+dogs#p125273

Ken

callumsfather

During one of our hospital sessions an other family told us that there family dog had started changing his behaviour and it coincided with the lows that there son was having, the dog was not trained specifically but seemed to be instinctive.
When my son is bit older then I have now found the perfect excuse to the wife for why I “my son “ should get a dog,

:D

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
my oldest dog knows when im low ,cancerdogs.co.uk also train dogs with diabetics, my pup is also becoming quite aware of my hypos too :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Interesting topic this!

I remember some years ago reading that dogs somehow can detect when someone is going hypo, I am sure it was something to do with the smell of the persons breath. :shock:

That said, my dog has never detected me going low before, just lies there sleeping in-between his walks and eating! :(

Nigel :lol: