1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Don't forget the proteins

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by hanadr, Jan 28, 2010.

1. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

If following a low carb diet, don't turn it in to a high protein one.
    Reason?
    Excess protein will be turned to glucose!
    You really do need to use the high fat approach. Atkins got it right. The Atkins induction principles work well for low carbers, as do the Atkins Fat Fasts, if you want to lose weight.
    Hana

2. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

Bracwol
    did you notice, as I did, that when recently, a low carb diet was compared with a low cal diet supported by medication( for weight loss) There was none of the usual outcry telling us how dangerous such diets are.
    If you didn't see the study from Duke University, It found that for weigth loss, Low carb works as well as low cal+medication and they were also similarly successful in controlling blood lipids. The big difference was in blood pressure control, where the low carb without additional medication, was more effective than low cal/low fat( Ancel Keys's Heart healthy diet).
    I think we'll find Atkins is vindicated
    Also, when a very low carb keogenic diet is used to treat intractable epilepsy. it has a high success rate and no-one screams "danger!, danger! the sky is falling!"

3. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

High fat is all very well for those who can and choose to do so Hana, but what advice do you give to those who cannot eat a lot of fat?

4. bufferz

bufferz · Well-Known Member

I'd guess run Forest run! :wink: its about all you can do...

5. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

I am talking about a low carb diet!!
    I follow a low carb diet but cannot eat a lot of fat and I wonder what Hana suggests as a replacement for those who want to low carb but can't eat high fat.

6. cugila

cugila · Master

This is a site where members are often asked questions to clarify things. In no way does it dilute anything at all, it is also not unrelated either as it opens up the debate. We like to discuss, makes the Forum interesting and a lively place to be. Information is always a good thing to hear wherever it comes from. I too am interested in the reply.

7. ditzeeblonde

ditzeeblonde · Well-Known Member

Since being diagnosed on New Year Eve, I started doing Atkins on the 2nd of Jan & have lost a 19lbs so far this month & most importantly dropped my BG's from 18.4 to 6.8.

I'm just very lucky I guess that I hit on something that works so well for me so quickly...

8. Synonym

Synonym · Well-Known Member

Well done ditzeeblonde, that is a terrific result! :D

Now new outfits AND shoes?! 8) :D

9. clearviews

clearviews · Well-Known Member

Result "Ditzeeblonde"! Phenomenal as well!

I chose to pay attention to supplements to get some of the good fats/oils into my food intake. So there was Fish Oil and Evening Primrose Oil. As our climate is kind, salads figure year round so I always dress them with olive oil, flaxseed oil, macadamia oil alternated and in a mix with lemon juice and/or Apple Cider Vinegar. I cook in coconut oil, add it to my smoothies, Coconut Bark and microwave muffins.
    The bacon grease gets absorbed by the mushrooms and zucchinis I cook with my breakfast. There is little I eat that I need a spread for but butter is my choice if I want some on my muffin or I use it in quiche base or for sauteing vegetables.
    It would be hard Sugarless Sue if you are not able to tolerate fats. How does the intolerance manifest, without getting too personal or invasive?
    Alison

10. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

For low carbers who can't eat fat.
    Lettuce, cabbage and broccoli
    Hana

11. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

Atkins Knew it!

The recently published study comparing a low carb diet with a low cal/low fat diet supported by Xenical, found that the low carb diet was as effective as the other, and whilst unsupported by medication, It caused as much weight loss and as good an improvement in lipid profile. And “Wonder of wonders!” it brought about a better reduction in blood pressure.
    I have just been re-reading a part of one of my Atkins books and what do you think I found? There in black and white. “A low carb diet is the most effective at reducing blood pressure”
    We do tend to forget that Robert Atkins was a cardiologist and think of him as a diet doctor. He obviously knew his stuff.

12. ally5555

ally5555 · Well-Known Member

hana

can I just clarify one point about the use of ketogenic diets for epilepsy. It is not just a low carb diet and the children mainly who are put on it have individual calculations made for them. The level of fat is increased using MCT products that are available on prescription. They also require extra vitamins and minerals as the diet is deficient for growing children. This type of regime is not new - I used it years ago but it needs alot of monitoring and compliance is a problem.

The comments about adding fat interest me - alot of low carbers struggle to up the fat in take in practice as fat on its own is not really pleasant and there is only so much you can add to food. Low carbing is inherently a restricted calorie intake - for most people (BBC Diet trials). Graham excluded of course!
    I would like to hear more about what people do!

Compliance on the lowcarb atkins type regime is an issue - I am keeping very crude records of pt numbers who have followed it and stopped - it is quite interesting as about 60% have tried it and given up . About half of these are type 2 by the way.

13. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

This study only referred to low carb v low calorie and Orlistat. As Orlistat works by blocking fat then surely the low carb diet with Orlistat wouldn't have worked anyway. To my mind, the comparison is poor as low carb was the only diet used in this experiment. The study is more about the disadvantages of Orlistat.

As for the diet for epileptic children, you cannot just walk down to your local supermarket and buy what a low carber buys, it has to be carefully monitored, including ratios of different foods. There has to be a lot of input from professionals.

This article explains it more fully,

http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/About ... ogenicdiet

It also mentions the success rate. Less than half.

14. cugila

cugila · Master

A substitute...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    What on earth is wrong with just eating a lower fat food ?

15. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

That made me laugh too. I can imagine cooking some salmon, instead of reaching for the spread that I use to make it more succulent I add a lettuce leaf. And it does what?
    Then I thought of cooking some toast, adding a lettuce leaf, or even some broccoli and some marmite. Not really a substitute is it?

16. graham64

graham64 · Well-Known Member

I'd be wary of the so called "Healthy Spreads"

This is what could be in them :evil:

Not for me thanks I'll stick with the butter :p

Graham

17. Synonym

Synonym · Well-Known Member

Butter is definitely best! :D

I can’t get my tongue round those words anyway and wouldn’t want whatever those things are in my mouth either. :roll:

18. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

Hi Graham,
    Would you recommend lettuce, broccoli and cabbage instead? That was suggestion given for high fat alternatives for those who cannot tolerate high fat.

Catherine.

19. graham64

graham64 · Well-Known Member

Hi Catharine, I think it was you who mentioned spreads not Hana, but if a spread was to be used I think it would be wise to find the the one with the least toxic chemicals :D or how about mashed cauliflower :lol: :lol: :lol:

Graham

20. cugila

cugila · Master

Interesting point Graham, so are Vitamin A and Vitamin D 'Toxic Chemicals" now.......???

How about the many different kinds of edible vegetable oils include: olive oil, palm oil, soybean oil, canola oil, pumpkin seed oil, corn oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, peanut oil, grape seed oil, sesame oil, argan oil and rice bran oil. Many other kinds of vegetable oils are also used for cooking.
    I think many people use these and in fact I have seen most of them touted here as healthy.

Do you actually know what each of these so called toxic chemicals are.....Oh, yes I prefer butter by the way....in moderation of course. :wink:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook