dont know what to do next.

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
just back from hospital and seeing the doctor he says and confirmed what most of you where saying I am very insulin resistant and just increasing it on its own will not work. he has put me on a tablet ACTOS (Pioglitazone). I have looked this up and it says that there is an 83% increase in people getting bladder cancer if taken for moor than 12 month's. should I take it or not ?????. is any one else taking this?????. if so what other side effects are there or have you had. tried metformin before being put on insulin and that made me vomit all day.

C

catherinecherub

Hi phil,

I would express your concerns to your G.P. You need to tell him how you feel about the potential hazards of taking this medication and he needs to explain why this particular one is right for you as opposed to others.
I hope someone who uses Actos will answer.

You could do a search and see what you come up with.

Take care.

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would have thought that there would be a proviso that you have regular blood tests/ scans to monitor bladder and any changes to it.

I've just gone on victoza and have to have blood test next week and another 2 weeks later to check renal function I'm on insulin as well.

Hope you sort it out

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Insulin resistance is treated with low carb and metformin slow release if you can handle it
Take whatever drug works in the meantime see dr
Cut all grain ,grain product, potato and other starchy veg. Eat lots of leafy veg
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Atkins induction diet is also good

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The glitazones are now discouraged although very common a few years back. If it was me I would stick with max dose Metformin SR and go low-carb. Aim for 150gm/day or less for starters

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Start with 500 met slow release. when no side effects go to 1000, then 1500 and 2000 if needed

If with 500 for 3 weeks and still side effects. Discontinue

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks all for your comments and plan on seeing my gp as soon as I can get an appointment...
I have tried metformin before it made me quite ill vomiting and the rest I think this is why they are trying this one, but the cancer alert is putting me off it. the other side effects are worrying to swollen legs, feet, heart problems, weight gain etc.

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I find it strange that the UK still has that drug on the market - in Ontario Actos is no longer on the list of drugs that doctors can freely prescribe

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
finely got gp appointment 19/8/14 wont get them until seen doctor.

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I just saw an article from Drugwatch.com that shows where Actos has been discontinued in Germany and India, but not in the US. I will put the link in here so you (and others) can see for yourselves. I personally would not go near it with a 1,000,000,000m. pole.

Actos Recall - Bladder Cancer

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks tosweetforme I have looked at the article. and printed it off to take with me to the gp when I go. I think that is why he has sent for me, in the mean time I have not got them yet and I think I will tell the gp that no I am not going to take them.

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
time for an up date so here we go. saw the dr and was told to start the tablets as there was nothing else at this time. told him about the cancer risk and told not to worry about that, told I would die from another stroke, or a heart attack if my readings did not come down. have started with it some two weeks now, got a rash first week (now gone), now having tests for bowel cancer as started to pass blood, and still they tell me to keep on as I am. now take 90 units of lantis and 10 units of apidra for every 10 carbs nd still bloods are in there 20 is???? what do I do now??????

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Usually people try slow release metformin or a different generic manufacturer if they get nausea from metformin. Odd your doctor didn't try that. It's not odd he didn't suggest a low carb diet. But if you are on insulin, maybe more drastic measures are in order.