Don't you just hate it when..

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't you just hate it when you read an article that is trying to warn its readers to have a healthy diet to avoid Diabetes, and then it goes on about the reasons why you really should listen to them.. such as writing the horrible facts about limb amputations and blindness etc.

They could spare a thought for people that already have Diabetes and might be reading!? :/ I know we all know the facts and everything, it just bugged me a little thats all.. cause a lot of people can't help being diabetic and I think putting the scare factor in the articles isn't great

Sorry I felt like a bit of a rant.. do any of you agree?

Reactions: 5 people

sam381

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If anything it is more of an incentive for us to control our diabetes or face the consequences? That's how I view these articles anyway :p

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
I agree completely, I was only diagnosed type 1 last thurs and to be honest I didn't have a clue about t1 apart from all the (what I now know to be) horror stories in the media. I sobbed my heart out thinking I was going to die, loose limbs and that it was all my own fault!! The media are good at scare tactics and not just with diabetes, subtlety and compassion never cross the minds of media giants unfortunately

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
Melodrama in the media is geared towards the type of audience who need high emotional content in order to stay involved. That's not to say that there aren't elements of truth behind the high drama, it's just the "drama and trauma" is a manipulative ploy to keep folks "interested". It's a cheap, shoddy way to get and keep "high ratings". Nothing new about that in the media business. I think it's categorized as "info-tainment", even the more ghoulish stuff, like amputations.
It makes me feel as though (my) ailments and suffering were being exploited to seduce and shock the public. These are being exploited.
Whether, in the long run, it makes a difference how the public becomes aware of consequences of medical conditions, is difficult to predict. I would say it is better that the public be exposed to it, rather than not.
A more respectful style would be much appreciated, though.

Reactions: 2 people