DOOMED WE ARE.

swine1

Anyone seen the very large add Page 23 Todays Daily Express?
DIABETES. BEWARE THE SILENT ASSASSIN.
"The death certificate will say heart attack. It was really diabetes." The add is 10x6 inches.
Made my day. Think we should all wear a health warning, it looks like its off a packet of fags.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That'll teach you for reading the Daily Express! :wink:

All the best,

fergus

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
I know that our medics are often much maligned, but I am sure most of them do actually recognise the difference between diabetes and a heart attack, even if the Daily Express doesn't.

jopar

What will the DUK come up with next?

There's scare tac-tics and scare tac-tics into getting some-one to tow the line?

Jenny

Cause of death classification is not as straightforward as you all, so far, might think.

Classifying for statistical purposes the cause of death requires an understanding of the International classification of death, disease and injury and the concept of a the 'morbid sequence'. Death certificates often record a number of 'contributing causes' (up to nine I recall) which can be difficult for those remote from the process to comprehend. For example if you are in hospital and being treated for chronic heart disease but for some reason panic, fall out of bed and bang your head then die; what was the cause of death? Similarly if you are standing in a pub, get rat ***** 'run outside to catch the last bus, slip on the ice and fall under one of Edinburgh's forthcoming trams and get squashed, what was the cause of death. The 'morbid sequence' approach to classification might just, for example, in the first example assume that if you had not been hospitalised with the debilitating heart disease and stressed you would not have fallen out of bed and banged your head to death. In the second the logic might assume that if you had not been rat ***** you might not have ran out of the pub and slipped on the ice and fell under the tram. The underlying cause of death might, therefore, be something that is not understood, ie attributed to the heart disease not the fractured skull, and alcohol intoxication not the so far mythical tram.

My recollection of the 'rules' from many years ago is that the 'underlying cause' which might be the start of the 'morbid sequence' will be reported in the main tabulations of death as the cause of death. More interesting, if you are inclined, is to look at the statistics which cross classify the various causes listed on the death certificate. Then, what might come out of an autopsy, which can often further alter the causes of death listed on the certificate issued at the time of death and the impact that has on the published statistics, is another matter.

The best certificate I ever encountered involved amongst other things a wooden stool, a piano wire, a rubber mask and a bottle of Brandy. Now then, lets guess the cause of death.

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
You think that's bad? The same ad is on a ruddy great billboard that I have to walk past every morning on my way to work :roll: Oh well, anything that raises awareness is good I suppose.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Was it natural causes Jenny :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jenny said:
Cause of death classification is not as straightforward as you all, so far, might think.

The best certificate I ever encountered involved amongst other things a wooden stool, a piano wire, a rubber mask and a bottle of Brandy. Now then, lets guess the cause of death.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Was it chronic liver failure on a Val Doonican themed Gestapo night out? What do I get if I win? :shock:

fergus

Jenny

Nope!

It was in fact a combo; there were two slightly differing certificates. Two, to put it as politely as I can, stiffs. A bit of lateral thinking is necessary.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
And that Val Doonican always seemed like such a sensible chap too. Still, if you're going to hang about with The Gimp, you'd have to expect the worst really. :shock:

fergus

chocoholic

:lol: :lol: :lol: What an excellent,interesting thread! Thank God we can laugh at things, eh? Whatever happened to Val Doonican......last I heard, he was off his rocker!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
The real CEREAL killer:

Attachments

• diabetes diet 002.jpg
    diabetes diet 002.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 635

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
There I was walking in the Thistle centre in Stirling when I saw the Diabetes UK poster.
I got such a fright I collapsed where I was.
Luckily there was a shadowy man running passed and he helped me recover.

It was terrible, I had just been thinking that after 18 or so years as a type 2, having recently gone low carb and drastically improved my BS level, I was doing fine, and it turns out I'm about to drop dead.

Well I didn't, so that'll show them

:D

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
gefmayhem said:
There I was walking in the Thistle centre in Stirling when I saw the Diabetes UK poster.
I got such a fright I collapsed where I was.
Luckily there was a shadowy man running passed and he helped me recover.

It was terrible, I had just been thinking that after 18 or so years as a type 2, having recently gone low carb and drastically improved my BS level, I was doing fine, and it turns out I'm about to drop dead.

Well I didn't, so that'll show them

:D
I hope he gave you a Mars bar to raise your BS level :twisted:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I've look at the DUK website for their info on the Silent Assassin campaign. I read there:
Diabetes (full name: diabetes mellitus) is a condition in which the amount of glucose (sugar) in the blood is too high because the body cannot use it properly. Glucose comes from the digestion of starchy foods such as bread, rice, potatoes, chapatis, yams and plantain, from sugar and other sweet foods, and from the liver which makes glucose.
They know the cause, so why do they advise us to eat what causes our problems :?: :twisted: :?:

suzil

Dislikes
rude people, intolerances of different life styles, migraines and getting old!
Has Doomed got be said in a scottish type voice (like Taggarts murder)?!?

Lets face it we're all doomed its just when that doom is going to happen that I am concerned about. :roll:

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift (thats why its called the present). Live every day like it was your last cos one day it will be!

On insulin since Oct 2007 currently 44 units in morning and 56 units in evening Novomix 30, 3 x 500mg Metformin, one 80mg gliclazide, one 10mg atorvastatin, one 5mg amlodipine, one 10mg ramipril and seretide 250 accuhaler twice a day (blimey is there any medicine left for anyone else!)

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I had a phone chat with Careline DUK making the point that in view of the cause of elevated BS, that carbs are the SILENT ASSASSINS. She told me how important the consumption of carbs is for our bodily functions & warned against low carb high fat diets.

She was happy that I was doing the right thing for me, but that we are all different, therefore it wouldn't work for others...

i.e. Don't look for any changes there :evil:

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
she was right though.

Carbs might be silent assassins for you type 2's but not for us type 1's! We are all different. I eat over 200g carbs a day and I wouldn't have it any other way, I enjoy the food i eat.

I haven't seen the poster yet, not in public, only in the e-newsletter from DUK.