Dosing question! ...Forum Newbie :)

HelloItsMe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and would really love to hear from you guys about dosing. I know that everyone is different and no two diabetics are the same but I really feel like I'm on a huge amount of insulin and this in turn is making me worry about weight gain etc.

I've only recently (like, in the past week) had properly controlled blood sugars since I was diagnosed at 11. This has obviously brought a whole host of compilations already but at least now, I've made a change and really want to try!

To give you an idea: I'm 23, female, around 140lbs and 5'8". Type 1. Last HbA1c is ....bear with me.... 103. :'(

Right now, with fairly good control (except morning reading sometimes) I am taking on average 8U Novorapid in the morning, 8U with lunch and 8U at dinner (sometimes a tiny bit more) 6U with a snack later on and then 28U of Levimir at night.

I may need to up the Levimir more, as I'm getting readings like 13-15mmol in the morning sometimes. Ugh :(

In the past week, I have really slashed my carb intake to very little (man, those sugar withdrawals were rough!) but I've noticed that I've already started to pack on weight from the up in insulin. Between both of those, my motivation is tested and I could easily reach for some chocolate :/ BUT I've turned over a new leaf and want this to work out as best I can... But don't really want to have to weigh loads as this would do nothing for my outlook/confidence/motivation to control my levels.

Also... How are we meant to exercise when right after you have to eat so you don't faint?! It cancels out all the work! How is weight lost safely? Haha. I am not obsessed about this, but I want to go about as healthily as possible :)

Phew, that was long. Thank you so much for reading this far if you have, it's tough when I can't really run this by anyone. If anyone was comfortable enough to pop up their doses so I can just get an iiiiidea I'd really appreciate it.

Looking forward to jumping into the forum, thanks in advance! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
hi can't answer much i'm t2 and newish, but i was told slow weight lose is best. some one with the knowledge will be along all the best

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm insulin sensitive so have never used huge doses of insulin.

I know there's a theory that insulin makes you gain weight - I don't know about that but I do know that, when I reduced the amount of carbs I was eating (and obviously the bolus insulin) I started losing weight.

Do you by any chance drink wine? When I stopped drinking on weekdays and was careful with the amount I drank at the weekend, the weight fell off me.

On the exercise question, I always reduce my bolus dose if I'm exercising after a meal (trial and error gives you the correct reduction - start low and work up if necessary). When I was on MDI, I also had to reduce my Lantus by a couple of units, otherwise I'd go hypo the following day - but apparently not many folk need to do that.

It was my DSN who told me about reducing a bolus before exercising, don't you have one?

I hope this is of some help.

HelloItsMe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @dancer!

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm starting at a clinic on Wednesday, so I'll have access to a diabetes nurse then :)

I don't drink alcohol at all actually, it's really just that I'm dependent on carbs and refined sugar at this point I find it so hard to cut back. I'm struggling but still trying :)