Double cream

celast

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How does having a bit of double cream on fruit affects us diabetics ? if its not good are there any type of cream that could be used?

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
celast said:
How does having a bit of double cream on fruit affects us diabetics ? if its not good are there any type of cream that could be used?

"Everything in moderation"... that's what I've been told, time and time again over the years; so, if your "having a bit" is truly 'a bit' and does not form a bit on top of mounds of saturated fat, then I guess there wouldn't be an issue... DAFNE /carb counting courses often say not to 'count' the carbs in a small dose of fruit, etc. if eaten separately.

Fat does slow down the absorption of carbs and can interfere with the absorption of insulin, hence why the medical profession are trying to induce low fat diets, weight loss, etc. Personally, I prefer to eat the more natural versions of food products - e.g. butter rather than 'spread' - because they tend to taste better without the need for a chemical cocktail to improve them.

"Less of more" is my motto: less quantity of more quality. :thumbup:

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does not appear to affect me too much. I think the fruit affects me more than the cream. Only 1-2 table spoons mind you or use the aerosol version.
With me it is the carbs rather than fat. Now garlic bread - that really shoots my sugar up. :-(
Eating it as part of a meal should also affect you less. Test yourself just before the meal and then 2 hours after.
Even if it does raise your BG, should be OK provided you only have it occasionally. We must have some pleasures left.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does not appear to affect me too much. I think the fruit affects me more than the cream. Only 1-2 table spoons mind you or use the aerosol version.
With me it is the carbs rather than fat. Now garlic bread - that really shoots my sugar up. :-(
Eating it as part of a meal should also affect you less. Test yourself just before the meal and then 2 hours after.
Even if it does raise your BG, should be OK provided you only have it occasionally. We must have some pleasures left.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Watch the squirty stuff, it's usually laden with sugar.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is melon ok as fruit?
Depends.. it might be worth trying some on its own and testing. The carb amounts seem to vary quite a lot depending on the type of melon. Personally I wouldn't but I am an ultra low carber so would rather spend my allowance on double cream instead.

Reactions: Freema
P

pollensa

Cream as part of a high fat, very low carbohydrate diet actually helps stabilise my blood sugars.
Point well raised and am sure as yourselves many experiencing the same success results.

The two combinations work well, ie. following the Keto low carb www.dietdoctor.com prime example, from a personal point of view the two combinations with other, have totally controlled my levels to normal non diabetic range this is the positive side,

however, not everything in life seems perfect,

Negative,. on the down side, the eating of high fat, i.e. butter, crème fraise has upted my what was normal cholesterol levels of two years, to now sitting on the border line "beware" lower point. So, sadly, we or many of us, are in the catch 22 situation, what is the right balance, eating low carb and exercise keeps our sugars at bay, intermittent fasting targets the cause insulin resistance, and lowers fat in our liver, it seems for some not all I speak only of my own experience, introducing butter and creams something I have actually never eaten my entire 68 years of life, have increased my cholesterol. Its a case sugar, insulin issues controlled v. cholesterol....its not easy is it, but I think the words "moderation, common sense, and as quoted LESS is more is perhaps the balance to aim for" or not.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think with food you have to think short term (blood sugar spikes) and long-term (especially if you happen to want to lose weight).

I want to lose weight and adding double cream to pretty much anything seems to turn it into crack cocaine to me, so I rarely have it in the house, much as I'd like to.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Rather than using cream you could try low fat plain yogurt or low fat cottage or ricotta cheese. I find the small amount of fat slows the absorption of the fruit sugars so the blood sugar spike is less. Tinned fruit may be sweetened with sugar, or at least the juice in there is, so best avoided. If hiking dried fruit carries well, can be munched along the way or stewed up at night. I tend to have fruit with some protein/fat to slow down absorption except if I am doing or just finished vigorous exercise. Whole fruit faves: strawberries, apples, persimmons; dried fruit - cranberries.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just pointing out that the early part of this thread is over 4 years ols and most of the participants haven't been seen for a while..
@kitedoc ny particular reason for low fat? they usually have more sugar which for you I guess would mean more insulin..

Reactions: Freema
P

pollensa

Depends if you consider "high" cholesterol to be a bad thing.. I don't.
How right you are, I totally agree, trying to convince lets say my doctor this, as my words were, if I had the option of choice, between having insulin issues and sugars v. cholesterol, I would without doubt opt to have higher cholesterol, perhaps we are just the minority who think this, but without doubt I think there is a valid and unwarranted point, what is High cholesterol it used to be under 250 spain now its you HAVE to be under 200, so??? I dont view it as bad thing either, so nice to hear someone else thinks and views the same.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find a little double cream lowers the spike from the fruit and leaves me feeling full for hours. Also a bit of grated or melted 85% dark chocolate on the strawberries along with the cream is a super low carb treat.

Reactions: zand and Freema

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
My crack cocaine is double cream in coffee . Never drank coffee before diagnosed . Unless there was Drambuie involved . But having about 4 cups a Day now 1 in the morning . 3 in the evening
Gorgeous

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really enjoy heavy whipping cream and 1/2&1/2 cream. In fact I use both of these creams to may my own homemade crockpot yogurt.

Then I mix some my yogurt with cream and blueberries and raspberries & a touch of maple syrup to make it all super palatable.* I'm real easy on the syrup!

After I've made the yogurt I strain it via a colander with a clean cheesecloth in my refrigerator and I've got the best Greek yogurt in the world! It takes all about 12 hours, so if you start at 8am you're putting it into the fridge to strain around 9pm and it comes out as Greek yogurt first thing in the morning. Lovely..

Last edited: