Dr told me that I should be only testing once a day because I’m T2

Carlos R

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last month my hba1c was 96, my Dr rang me to discuss my medication, I asked if I could wait a month as I wanted to change my diet and lifestyle.

After some research I started a 1400 cals a day diet and exercise twice a day, I was monitoring my bg about 6-7 times a day to record the effects of food and exercise.

I have my 14day average below 6 now and when I spoke to my dr about more strips he told me that T2 should only test once a day.

Since I have been testing more regularly my bg is the lowest it’s ever been since diagnosed

Has any one else encountered this kind of negativity from their GP

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah, GP’s are generally ignorant about empowering patients. If you want a job doing well, do it yourself...

Excellent control though. Awesome.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, My GP wouldn't prescribe strips at all. I buy my own . It's the only way to know what foods are spiking your BG.
Looks like you are on the right track, well done.

Reactions: dbr10
D

Deleted member 308541

when I spoke to my dr about more strips he told me that T2 should only test once a day.
I would be asking my GP when is the best time for me to do that then as i am so confused on the choices of testing times.

Fasting first up in the morning.
Before or after breakfast.
Before or after lunch.
Before or after dinner.
Or can you suggest another time that is convenient.

You will most probably have to self fund your strips.

Reactions: Olufisayo

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hardly any of we T2s are prescribed strips unless we are on insulin or one of the very strong drugs. You were very lucky to get any at all, although I see from your profile you take Gliclazide. This is one of the drugs that can cause a hypo. If you are on oral medication that may increase their risk of hypoglycaemia while driving or operating machinery you should be prescribed strips (and enough of them to test before driving/operating machinery)

NICE recommendations
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2

1.6.13 Do not routinely offer self-monitoring of blood glucose levels for adults with type 2 diabetes unless:

• the person is on insulin or

• there is evidence of hypoglycaemic episodes or

• the person is on oral medication that may increase their risk of hypoglycaemia while driving or operating machinery or

• the person is pregnant, or is planning to become pregnant. For more information, see the NICE guideline on diabetes in pregnancy. [new 2015]

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm very fortunate in that I get test strips free on the NHS and because I've learned what foods affect my BG and what to avoid I now only test every second day and rotate those tests through one meal per test day and through breakfast, lunch, dinner and pre-bedtime. I do a pre-meal and 2 hours post-meal test. Recording and graphing these results provides me with data that show the trend of my BG level and I don't feel I need to test more frequently. My GP stopped my medication last month and the graph is showing a steep rise at present, but testing more frequently would not provide any additional information than that that I gather every second day via the pre and post prandial test from one meal.
In your situation @Carlos R, more frequent testing - before and after meals helps you discover how foods do or don't spike your BG.
BTW if your 14 day average is below 6 you are doing very well indeed!!!!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I ought to add to my post above, that when my GP stopped my Gliclazide I asked if that meant that I'd no longer qualify for test strips as according to NHS/NICE one only gets them if taking a sulphonlyurea. Her reply was "We'll decide what's best for you.". She's a wee treasure!!

Biggles2

Yeah, GP’s are generally ignorant about empowering patients. If you want a job doing well, do it yourself...
Totally agree @wiflib! Paternalism is still alive and well in health care. Whilst doctors are encouraged to put patients first and patients are expected to take more responsibility for their health, it appears that some (many?) surgeries are not really ready for truly involved and informed patients who seek to take responsibility for their own health and well-being.

This is evident in the gatekeeper behaviours at some surgeries, where access to test results is restricted and/or self-testing is discouraged, and in the grey literature (physician blogs, etc.) where patients who turn to the internet for information on how to self-manage and keep themselves healthy are disparaged for turning to “Dr. Google”.

Here is a link to an interesting blog about the importance of self responsibility from “The Radical Healer”. I especially like the following quotes attributed to Dr. Clare Gerada the former Chair of the RCGP. She gets it that the system needs patients like us if it is to be sustainable:

“The idea that you need to consult me as the GP to tell you where to go is a nonsense in tomorrow’s world. In yesterday’s patronising world where I had the knowledge and I kept it from you, fine, but you are just as responsible.

“If you don’t do that I am afraid that what is going to happen is that you have all the power and no responsibility.

“We are going to end up with a burnt-out system where there won’t be health professionals because we can’t take that responsibility.”​

https://www.theradicalhealer.co.uk/self-responsibility

Reactions: Olufisayo and dbr10

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Totally agree @wiflib! Paternalism is still alive and well in health care. Whilst doctors are encouraged to put patients first and patients are expected to take more responsibility for their health, it appears that some (many?) surgeries are not really ready for truly involved and informed patients who seek to take responsibility for their own health and well-being.

This is evident in the gatekeeper behaviours at some surgeries, where access to test results is restricted and/or self-testing is discouraged, and in the grey literature (physician blogs, etc.) where patients who turn to the internet for information on how to self-manage and keep themselves healthy are disparaged for turning to “Dr. Google”.

Here is a link to an interesting blog about the importance of self responsibility from “The Radical Healer”. I especially like the following quotes attributed to Dr. Clare Gerada the former Chair of the RCGP. She gets it that the system needs patients like us if it is to be sustainable:

“The idea that you need to consult me as the GP to tell you where to go is a nonsense in tomorrow’s world. In yesterday’s patronising world where I had the knowledge and I kept it from you, fine, but you are just as responsible.

“If you don’t do that I am afraid that what is going to happen is that you have all the power and no responsibility.

“We are going to end up with a burnt-out system where there won’t be health professionals because we can’t take that responsibility.”​

https://www.theradicalhealer.co.uk/self-responsibility

I bang on about self responsibility alllll the time but it’s become a vicious circle; we are told what and how to live from birth, totally disempowered, and are then expected to take responsibility with no knowledge. It seems since we have all the info at our fingertips, our knowledge is decreasing.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last month my hba1c was 96, my Dr rang me to discuss my medication, I asked if I could wait a month as I wanted to change my diet and lifestyle.

After some research I started a 1400 cals a day diet and exercise twice a day, I was monitoring my bg about 6-7 times a day to record the effects of food and exercise.

I have my 14day average below 6 now and when I spoke to my dr about more strips he told me that T2 should only test once a day.

Since I have been testing more regularly my bg is the lowest it’s ever been since diagnosed

Yes, I did, and many of us have. GP is talking nonsense. You need to test.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

RobAO

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must be lucky, T2 on metformin and i get strips prescribed too

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I'm T2 as well. My strips were stopped by our illustrious and most perspicacious parliamentary whizzkids. I insisted to my GP that I can only take full control by self testing. He signed the waiver without objection and totally supports me.
Glenn

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
Grateful for this forum! The test strips are expensive in my country. I have just three left in the container now. I regularly test once a day. I rarely test twice a day. People see diabetics as unfortunate souls here because of the expensive drugs and materials we buy.

Last edited:

Undlosgehtes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey my doctor wanted me to test only Once a week! She was kind of surprised when I send her my documentation, because I measure daily. Unfortunately have to pay strips from my own pocket, but I think it is worth it. Through testing I know what I can and can't eat.

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm a type 1 and drs in every practise i've registered with have carped about the number of strips. But if you do b4 ur 3 meals and bedtime and again before drivibg home, thars 5 per day minimum. Then i might vary their regimen with exercise, travel, a torrid affair (only joking), all of which could yse extra strips. So call 6 a dayx7 days =42/week so that'd be 336 for 2 months = 7 packs. Each pack costs £20/ counter =£70/ month. The NHS must be thankful, T1s are in tbe minority of the diabetes epidemic.