Drinking And Night Time Lows

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, im wondering if anyone has any experience of this. i stopped drinking for about 6 months. in that time i also have lost a lot of weight,

i have since tried re introducing it in small dosses. on Saturday night i was at a friends 30th, I had 2 bottles of beer. this was between 8PM and 11PM i went home at 11 my blood sugar was sitting High at around 15MMOL but i decided to leave it instead of trying to correct at that time of night as im a little nervous sleepling with rapid acting working in my system. i feel asleep for around an hour till 1am. i woke up and felt a little werid. so i checked my blood sugar and i was 10. so still high but considering i had no rapid acting in me i thought it werid. so i stayed up for another 10 mins and checked again and found i was 7.6 at this point i thought this was a trend and took a couple of mouth fulls of lucosade, about 20 mins later i checked again and i was 6.0. so i drank a good bit more lucosade because i really wanted to sleep and was starting to panic a little.

20 mins later i was 10.0 i thought that was good thats me going up, lay down for 20 mins but couldnt shake the weird feeling. checked again and i had dropped back to 7.0, drank a ton more lucosade waited 20 mins and i was up at 10 again, 20 mins later i was a 13.7 at that point i decided just to sleep.

i Woke up high in the morning around 16 (which i often do due to the dawn phonomenon anyway)

Another thing is Before i fell asleep again i started sweating really bad, enough to soak the sheets. this has happened a few times and made me a little paranoid about Night time Hypos.

Funny thing is Last night when i think i was fine all night i woke up again with night sweats.

which is really making me a little paranoid to sleep.

Does anyone have any sugestions?

i Think my Lemir is having a fairy substantial effect between the 2-4 hour mark after taking it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Two points, have you done a basal test? It sounds as though your basal insulin level is not at the right level. See here for some help:

http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

Secondly, I have found that beer does cause my blood sugar to rise and then fall, but not to the level that you've described. It is something that you do have to be aware of when drinking.

Reactions: 2 people

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, i have to admit i really dont know what im doing with my Basil, my Doctor hasnt changed it for years, when i lost weight i lowered it myself. i had been taking 49 units once a day, now i have been taking 12 at night and 10 in the morning. i thought this was very little, is it possible this is still to much? i had heard that they recommend not to exceed 24 units daily.

my problem is over the last year loosing weight has lead my ratios to be a moving target which has really effected my control

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I understand that completely - I've moved my basal from being 45u to 18u in total over the last six months due to weight loss. It's worth undertaking a basal test as described as it will give you a much better idea of whether your levels are okay. Once you have the basal correct, the boluses are much easier to manage and you will have much better control. It really makes that much difference. Typically, the basal should be roughly 50% of the total daily dose, so worth doing the checks.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! Based on that i should be taking around 14 units of Levmir Daily Currently im taking 22, this could very much explain the strange behavior of my blood sugar outside of times my rapid acting should be working

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks! Based on that i should be taking around 14 units of Levmir Daily Currently im taking 22, this could very much explain the strange behavior of my blood sugar outside of times my rapid acting should be working
You should confirm this with basal testing though.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Given you woke again last night with the sweats you need to do some basal testing as Tim suggested earlier, you can experience rebound hypoglycaemia in your sleep which is often characterised by high morning bg readings and waking to find your bedsheets are soaking wet, the medical profession refer to this as The Somogyi Effect.

Go to bed tonight on a slightly higer bg level than normal and set your alarm 2 hourly and test, I would guess that your evening levemir is too high and needs to be reduced, but testing will say either way.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I Shall try testing at the 2 hour GAP on Friday (not sure i could be awake that much and still get to work the next day!) i wonder if i only noticed it on Saturday because i was up later than Normal. which is worrying becuse it is a very rapid drop and took a lot of sugar! its a wonder i havnt ended up in a Coma in the middle of the night.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have always assumed this is just Dawn phenomenon, but i will pretty much always wake up at around 16 regardles of what my night time blood sugar is so this could make sence, also my ratio for correction and carbs i eat in the morning requires a much larger dose of insulin than i need for anything else during the day.

Boy i Wish Those FreeStyle Libres hadnt sold out so fast! they would come in well handy for this!

Stevo500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not site of this has been said or not.the reason for the morning higjs could be realated too yiur blood sugar dropping too low through the night and the your liver kicking out glucose too correct. I have been advised that when drinking you should be taking on some form of carb before bed.a basal test will confirm this, I use lantus and had a terrible time with it for a long time, now I take it every night religiously at 10pm 28 units and it definitely helps,p.s tjere was a time I was up at 54 lantus.i recently went and on a course held through my local hospital for one day a week for 4 weeks, it defo helped me understand my diabetes a lot more.its all about the long acting insulin sorr that out then the rest will fall into place.