Driving licence...

TaliseH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had to apply for my licence again this year. Every time previously it has been a smooth process and it has been returned to me with a few weeks if that. My current licence expires in 7 days and I've not heard anything nor received my licence. Just rung the DVLA and they said my case is with the medical team. I've had no problems with my diabetes or relation to my licence so a bit worried what's wrong? I can still drive under a provisional or under a section (something or other) as long as i fit the criteria and my dr supports that? Can anyone make any sense of this? Im getting more and more worried about this! X

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
2 years ago I had the same problem, they were doing medical checks and didn't get my licence back for several weeks, when I rang the DVLA to ask if I'd still be able to drive if my new licence didn't come through and my old one expired I was told Yes I could, apparently there's some section that still allows you to continue driving if you've not been told otherwise, if in doubt ring them again and ask @TaliseH.

Reactions: 5 people
M

mrspuddleduck

There's been a few threads on here over the past few months all saying similar. It appears there's a delay (and in some cases a very long one!) in processing the medical related license. Meanwhile as @noblehead says you should be fine to drive. Sue xxx

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had to apply for my licence again this year. Every time previously it has been a smooth process and it has been returned to me with a few weeks if that. My current licence expires in 7 days and I've not heard anything nor received my licence. Just rung the DVLA and they said my case is with the medical team. I've had no problems with my diabetes or relation to my licence so a bit worried what's wrong? I can still drive under a provisional or under a section (something or other) as long as i fit the criteria and my dr supports that? Can anyone make any sense of this? Im getting more and more worried about this! X
2nd week in December 2015 I received a letter containing 2 medical questionares and a retuned envelope from DVLA medical section part of the letter was in 3 parts ,asking for my GPs details there was a letter attached which asked for the return of my driving licence and the letter in question to be returned in the next 5 working days..thing is my driving licence doesn't run out until march 2016. to me its seems a little early to ask for the return of my last 3year old licence,touch wood pleased I don't have a car ?

lely

I've renewed licence 3 times now they always send documents out and ask for the correspondence a good 8-12 weeks in advance in the hope they get your new license to you before the old one actually runs out, and yes unless told otherwise you can still drive. I always keep a photocopy of back and front of licence on me incase I need it, which I did this year to hire a car while other was in for MOT, but they can get all that electronically now anyway From DVLA. I forget how it's done, it was back in July.