driving license after laser treatment

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I've had laser in one eye and after my visit to the eye hospital today it's looking like I may need it in the other eye too. Please can someone explain what happens when I reapply for my driving license as the three years will be up in 2013. Am I right in believing that if you've had laser in both eyes you need to do a test? What is this test and what affects whether you pass it or not - would someone need a lot of extensive laser in both eyes to fail it or could you fail it even with minimal laser?

Stressing out as my eyes have deteriorated rapidly due to my (recently over) pregnancy and although my baby was fine my eyes have not escaped unscathed....but hopefully now I am no longer pregnant they should stabilise somewhat if I keep my control good.

Really not enjoying being a diabetic today!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
What the DVLA says is this............for those Insulin treated Diabetic's.......

EYESIGHT

All drivers are required by law to read, in good daylight, a car number plate from a distance of 20 metres or 20.5 metres where the old style number plate is used.

You must inform DVLA
• If you are unable to meet the number plate requirement.
• Of any problems that affect your field of vision.
• Of any conditions that affect both eyes or the remaining eye if you have sight in one eye only
If you have had laser treatment to both eyes for retinopathy, or to the remaining eye if monocular.

Can you meet the requirement to read the number plate ? Was the treatment for Retinopathy ?

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Yes is for retinopathy. I haven't had laser in both eyes yet but it's looking likely that I will although the doc wanted to do the test where they put flourescent dye in first before she makes a decision.

sugar2

Anti carb,

Congratulation on teh birth of baby. Hope you are both well.

I had laser in both eyes, and by laser I mean lots of laser, they lasered everything they could back in teh mid 90s. I believe the technicques have improved a lot since then. Every 3 years, I have to go for a visual fields test. basically, you look at a round screen, stare at a central spot, and press a trigger every time you see a light flash up somewhere in teh surrounding area. Over the past 15 years or so, I have had this 6 times. Itis clear from teh results, that I do have a slight issue with vision in teh lower, left portion of my visual field, but it is not serious enough to not be able to drive. there is a central area, which you must pass. I assume that the more laser you have, the more you lose your visual field, but this is combined with otherfactors, like how good your vision is generally etc.

When I first had, I had to repeat teh test (there and then) as I had too man "false positives" ie I was pressingteh trigger, becasue I was worried I hadn't pressed it for a while, and just general jitteryness.

Reactions: torheedamy

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
the_anticarb said:
Yes is for retinopathy. I haven't had laser in both eyes yet but it's looking likely that I will although the doc wanted to do the test where they put flourescent dye in first before she makes a decision.

AC
So, if it is done in both eyes then DVLA will have to be informed. What they then ask of you is a matter for them, their stance on many things seems to change all the time. So I would advise you that when/if the time comes you speak to them and find out exactly what you need to do.....

the_anticarb

Dislikes
thanks cugila but I was kind of hoping other members in the same boat could share what they had been through - I know I can speak to the DVLA any time I want to but wanted to know what others experiences had been. Thanks Sugar2

Jo4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have had a lot of laser it will affect your visual field results and if you fail the test your opthamologist can apply for your license on the basis of "Grandparents rights". It basically means you have adapted to the loss of vision. You will more than likely have to go out and drive a car with two independant instructors who will give their opinion on whether or not you have adapted to the loss of sight and you are a safe driver. If they think you have adapted you will get to keep your license.

adele

I had to have laser treatment for a retinal detatchment, I informed DVLA and now when my licence needs to be renewed I have to go to an Optician (local one chosen by DVLA) for a eye test, just an extra form to fill in.