Driving license and insulin

andybob

I have recdently been put on insulin by my diabetic nurse - as a start Im taking ten units just at night.
I've informed the DVLA and they have just written back and put me on a restricted license to be renewede in 3 years!!!
I remember seeing a thread a while ago about insulin and driving - my question is.. when I inform the insurance company can they increase the premium now? I seem to remeber someone saying that they can't discriminate. Could do with the original thread or some advisee please anyone!!!?

Thanks

Andy

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
andybob said:
I have recdently been put on insulin by my diabetic nurse - as a start Im taking ten units just at night.
I've informed the DVLA and they have just written back and put me on a restricted license to be renewede in 3 years!!!
I remember seeing a thread a while ago about insulin and driving - my question is.. when I inform the insurance company can they increase the premium now? I seem to remeber someone saying that they can't discriminate. Could do with the original thread or some advisee please anyone!!!?

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy, no they can't increase the premium. Sorry no idea where the thread is.
You do obviously have to tell your ins company or they could refuse to pay in the event of an accident.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
andybob said:

Thanks

Andy

A restricted license is the norm when starting insulin and they will issue you with a 1,2 or 3 year license, they'll write to you again when your license comes up for renewal but they don't charge for doing so.

Your insurance company shouldn't increase your premium but you do need to inform them of any changes now and in the future which may effect your ability to drive, don't forget also to inform the DVLA/Insurance should you ever come off insulin.