driving license

kahlotr

Hi I am new to this forum. Can anyone tell me if they have had their license revoked. I just received notification that mine has been revoked due to having 2 hypos in the last 12 months.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
A few on here have had trouble with DVLA. The confusion with hypo's for some is whether they required assistance from a 3rd party or not. The majority of diabetics will suffer occasional hypo's, however, if you recognise them and deal with them yourself, you don't need to declare them.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kahlotr

Thanks I had 2 hypo's back in jan that needed 2nd party assistance, I told dvla when renewing my license and they have now revoked it. I think being honest does not always pay off. Been told I can re-apply when i have been 12 months without hypo needing assistance.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
The worrying thing is that a lot of people will just put 0 to number of hypo's in future knowing that if not they will lose their license. Difficult situation. Whilst I 100% agree with ensuring road safety, I can understand the temptation to falsify the paperwork as some people may lose a job if they can't drive.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
kahlotr said:
I think being honest does not always pay off.

I beg to differ on that one, I wouldn't lie and risk my own safety and that of other road users if I wasn't safe to drive, it's unfortunate that you've lost your licence Kahlotr but hopefully it will be restored once things improve.

sparkyrich

noblehead said:
kahlotr said:
I think being honest does not always pay off.

I beg to differ on that one, I wouldn't lie and risk my own safety and that of other road users if I wasn't safe to drive, it's unfortunate that you've lost your licence Kahlotr but hopefully it will be restored once things improve.

Very noble of you but I could understand someone preferring to, ahem, suffer convenient amnesia where the other option is to possibly say goodbye to their job - along with their house, car, etc.
Not every employer has the ability to offer alternative positions and HM Government are hardly likely to provide for you

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Sitting on the fence lol ! I'd like to think I'd do the honourable thing but to be honest, if my job was on the line and I couldn't provide for my family........

steveamos1234

When the rules are flawed I totally appreciate why someone might lie or be economical with the truth.

I've never needed help with a hypo, so answered honestly when re-applying a couple of weeks ago. But, what makes no sense is discriminating against someone who has a hypo during sleep that needed help. The rules need changing.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
kahlotr said:
Thanks I had 2 hypo's back in jan that needed 2nd party assistance, I told dvla when renewing my license and they have now revoked it. I think being honest does not always pay off. Been told I can re-apply when i have been 12 months without hypo needing assistance.
You did the right thing by being honest.

Does this mean you have 7 months left to apply for a new license and should you have told the DVLA when you had your last hypo not the license renewing date.
I know it is easy to take a chance in these matters.please never think to be dishonest. A person in our area made a stupid mistake:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... meted.html
Roy.

Keith300-01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Strong wind
I've just got a letter back from them after sending mine back for renewal after telling them about the last 3 hypos 2 on the same day needing 3 party help they want to know the date of my 1st ever hypo I've been diabetic type 1 for 29 years since I was 12 years old mmm can't remember the 1st one only know about some due to testing my blood and looking back due to other issues I've not driven for over a month roll on the eye clinic next week .

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
sparkyrich said:
Very noble of you but I could understand someone preferring to, ahem, suffer convenient amnesia where the other option is to possibly say goodbye to their job - along with their house, car, etc.

Well tbh Sparkyrich I'd much sooner lose my job, car and house than live with the fact that I'd lied and taken someone's life or caused a traffic collision with multiple injuries.....which could happen in the worst case scenario, as insulin dependent diabetics we have to be sure that we are safe on the roads before contemplating getting behind a wheel.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
There's more chance of someone having a heart attack at the wheel than a severe hypo. Should we take a license away from anyone on heart meds/cholesterol tablets etc ?
I'm not saying I agree with anyone unsafe on the roads, just saying perhaps the rules from DVLA need looking at.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tis a tough one, during the day my control is excellent with full hypo awareness and always test before driving. Not often, but now and again I would get a low, not hypo but under 4 during the night. Usually from being busier in the day and all catching up. Can sort out myself and all good. However, should I need assistance in the night should I penalised for that by the dvla, when during waking hours fully hypo aware, above 5 before driving and no under 4s during the day. That is definately the area where the dvla need to look at.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
mo1905 said:
There's more chance of someone having a heart attack at the wheel than a severe hypo. Should we take a license away from anyone on heart meds/cholesterol tablets etc ?
I'm not saying I agree with anyone unsafe on the roads, just saying perhaps the rules from DVLA need looking at.

The DVLA have advised drivers with heart problems using form: "dvla INF188/4"
At the end of the day nobody should drive a vehicle if there is any doubt about a health problem when driving,( even a cold could lead to dangerous driving).
DVLA does try to cover its backside,however it is down to the driver to know the law and use common sense when driving.
"Lets not mention mobility scooters and their drivers"

You have now got me thinking about the times I have played with the radio buttons,drank from a bottle of water, eaten a apple etc; while driving.
images

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
izzzi said:
mo1905 said:

The DVLA have advised drivers with heart problems using form: "dvla INF188/4"
At the end of the day nobody should drive a vehicle if there is any doubt about a health problem when driving,( even a cold could lead to dangerous driving).
DVLA does try to cover its backside,however it is down to the driver to know the law and use common sense when driving.
"Lets not mention mobility scooters and their drivers"

You have now got me thinking about the times I have played with the radio buttons,drank from a bottle of water, eaten a apple etc; while driving.
images

For complete safety, let's remove all radio's from vehicles, anyone on ANY meds to refrain from driving, anyone with glasses, no driving when extremely sunny, foggy or icy, no driving AT ALL if you wear a hat, no driving in flip-flops !
Actually, lets jus ban driving lol !

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
mo1905 said:

Anyone on meds after a heart attack are taking them to reduce the chances of it occurring again, insulin on the other hand is taken to lower bg.....which as we know getting the dose wrong it can lead to hypoglycemia and severe consequences, driving and hypoglycemia don't mix so driving as diabetics does add additional risks on top of those we already endure every time we get behind the wheel of a car.

Certainly some clarity on the current rules would be helpful, but being untruthful to the DVLA in order that we can keep our licence is a NO NO in my book!!!!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
noblehead said:
mo1905 said:

Anyone on meds after a heart attack are taking them to reduce the chances of it occurring again, insulin on the other hand is taken to lower bg.....which as we know getting the dose wrong it can lead to hypoglycemia and severe consequences, driving and hypoglycemia don't mix so driving as diabetics does add additional risks on top of those we already endure every time we get behind the wheel of a car.

Certainly some clarity on the current rules would be helpful, but being untruthful to the DVLA in order that we can keep our licence is a NO NO in my book!!!!

Totally agree, however, I still believe there are many other drivers at higher risk on the roads currently. I know of several traffic accidents where suspected heart attack or poor vision have been the cause. Many more from other distractions such as phones, CD players etc but there have not been many due to hypo's that we know about. I know there have been a few but certainly not as many as people think.
I do agree that falsifying DVLA forms is wrong, I only ever said I can understand why some people would be tempted to tick a certain box. Different thing entirely.

iHs

Back in 2010 the DIAB1 form at the time didn't require insulin dependant diabetics to mention about nightime hypos requiring third party assistance. They were only interested in knowing about daytime hypos requiring assistance. What has happened over the past 3 years to make the DIAB1 questionnaire change??? ........ internet forums and the safety aspect of using bolus/basal insulin.

2 nightime hypos per year that need assistance from someone else does not make a diabetic a danger to drive on the roads during the day. With the current legal requirement from the DVLA that diabetics test their bg levels before they drive, should make everyone safe to do so no matter what time of day it is. Diabetics who are fast asleep cannot be expected to wake up if they have a hypo... Consultants know all this and now find themselves in a somewhat difficult position in deciding whether someone is safe or not especially with so many diabetics trying to get a low hba1c.

I hope very much that the DVLA get made to change the DIAB1 questionnaire otherwise there will be an awful lot of drivers unfairly finding their licence being revoked.........

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
If I recall it was due to the way that the DVLA misinterpret the latest EU diabetic driving regulations

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Mo1905 :) brilliant
For complete safety, let's remove all radio's from vehicles, anyone on ANY meds to refrain from driving, anyone with glasses, no driving when extremely sunny, foggy or icy, no driving AT ALL if you wear a hat, no driving in flip-flops !
Actually, lets jus ban driving lol !
That might just work.
I believe failure to look properly is the most common cause of vehicle accidents.

I do agree with what you said about people being temped to tick a incorrect answer, also as soon as insurance companies get info relating to any reason to up your cost they grab it.

Roy,