driving

mark5

will i have to stop driving buses till i have re-applied for my license or can i carry on as im starting to inject insulin

wilkinsonpj

Hi,

As far as I know u can't drive buses or HGV's when on insulin. I went on insulin last
year and those sections were wiped from my licence so please be careful.
I was about to take a job driving busses but had to choose between that or insulin.
The insulin won...

Cheers.
Pete.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Pete,
You WERE right, but now you can keep your licence once you follow the new procedures (since Oct 2011 I think) you need a medical though so Mark, get onto DVLA and try to get sorted out before you actually go on insulin!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
mark5 said:
will i have to stop driving buses till i have re-applied for my license or can i carry on as im starting to inject insulin

Hi Mark,
as you are only just starting on insulin, then my advice would be to ring DVLA and ask.
You do not want to be in the position of not having a valid driving licence and ins if you are not meant to be driving buses until you have the say so from your consultant and DVLA.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is the leaflet
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg ... 179198.pdf
from reading it, and another post I read recently it looks as if you will have to refrain from driving a bus until you have passed the medical and been given a new licence. To gain the licence you need to pass a medical and show 3 months worth of glucose readings in the memory of your meter. It looks to me(and you must check this with the DVLA) that three months would therefore be the absolutely minimum length of time between going onto insulin and regaining a licence.