Driving

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been looking at my information about starting my pump and it says that I need to refrain from driving when I first start on my pump.

I was wondering how long others have not driven for when starting on a pump.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I initially planned not to drive for a week as recommended by my clinic but I was so ill with crazy BG levels that I didn't drive for almost 2. I'd allow a week off and see how you manage :)

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Never had it mentioned to me, and I only got a pump due to a driving incident!!!

Your levels, due to the initial Set up of the pump are very unlikely to go low, probably the reverse....

Last edited by a moderator:

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hasn't been mentioned at all to me, hadn't really thought about it to be honest, but wasn't planning on driving any further than a few miles in any case.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nor me but because of the policy where I live (not UK) spent 3 days with others in hospital when I went on the pump. That meant you were being monitored for any initial problems.
I would have though most people would have driven home since the course had a very wide rural catchment (with almost no public transport)

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My plan for Tuesday's insulin start is
- cycle to railway station
- train Ely-Cambridge
- cycle to Addenbrookes
- Hook up, temporary basal rate straight away
- Reverse.

Either that or drive all the way, no reasonable bus options.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies folks.

Was just curious what other people had done or been advised.

The only advice I've had is to wait until I get things under control. As I assume it will be some time before I get things properly under control I'm just curious as to how long it may take before I get things properly under control to drive.

I do remember when I was first diagnosed that the consultant told me not to drive for a while. I then went on holiday a few days later which required me to do an awful lot of driving. I'm presuming it will just be much the same. I'm not planning on doing much driving but would like to have the option if I needed to.

iHs

Thanks for your replies folks.

Was just curious what other people had done or been advised.

The only advice I've had is to wait until I get things under control. As I assume it will be some time before I get things properly under control I'm just curious as to how long it may take before I get things properly under control to drive.

I do remember when I was first diagnosed that the consultant told me not to drive for a while. I then went on holiday a few days later which required me to do an awful lot of driving. I'm presuming it will just be much the same. I'm not planning on doing much driving but would like to have the option if I needed to.

This is sensible advice really. Very rarely will basal rates be correct when first pumping so a lot of bg testing needs to be done to get things ok. I didnt do any driving for about 3 days as I was busy playing with my new toy. For all drivers regardless of injections or pumping, have some sweets on the dashboard just in case and test bg before jumping in the driver seat. Better to have higher bg and get from A to B safely than to sail close to the wind..

Reactions: 6 people

iHs

- train Ely-Cambridge
- cycle to Addenbrookes
- Reverse.

Keep in mind that by activating a TBR when you get the Cellnovo and insulin will only affect yr bg level about 1.5hrs later, so do eat some carb to cover your cycling journey and get home safe

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is sensible advice really. Very rarely will basal rates be correct when first pumping so a lot of bg testing needs to be done to get things ok. I didnt do any driving for about 3 days as I was busy playing with my new toy. For all drivers regardless of injections or pumping, have some sweets on the dashboard just in case and test bg before jumping in the driver seat. Better to have higher bg and get from A to B safely than to sail close to the wind..

I had start on the insulin on the Monday and had hoped it would be ok by the end of the week but was beginning to doubt myself. I guess I'll just have to see how things go at the time.

I know it could take a long time to get everything as it should.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't hear anything about not driving and so I continued.............it wasn't a daily thing though...........I used a vehicle at work for a few days.........

my basal rate was put at 1.0 for the whole day in the beginning and now there are times of the day where I need more than that, but never less, so going low for me wasn't a risk fortunately.......:)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I started I was advised to not drive the day I started pumping due to possible residual levemir causing hypos. That's the last I heard of it though! I did have a few lows when first starting.... But not hypos as you're required to test two hourly anyway so you catch them!

Reactions: 3 people

Micky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being advised is totally different to what is the law. The hospital advice is actually good and makes sense but many cannot avoid driving. The DVLA have no such rule in place apart from the usual test before driving and every 2 hrs. They don't differentiate between a pump and MDI so delivery is not a consideration.

Reactions: 4 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being advised is totally different to what is the law. The hospital advice is actually good and makes sense but many cannot avoid driving. The DVLA have no such rule in place apart from the usual test before driving and every 2 hrs. They don't differentiate between a pump and MDI so delivery is not a consideration.

True! I did think as I walked home alone from the hospital (about 30 minutes) that I was more likely to hypo doing that than I was to drive lol but I guess the advise is for the safety of other road users too!

My advise (not that it's worth much!) would be to be extra careful that first day of driving, potential have an extra snack dependant on length of drive etc

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think as long as you follow your normal procedures...........(test before driving, hypo resolve in the car)............then you should be good.........

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep in mind that by activating a TBR when you get the Cellnovo and insulin will only affect yr bg level about 1.5hrs later, so do eat some carb to cover your cycling journey and get home safe

Yes, that was the plan, but of course I'll have no levemir that morning and half the previous evening dose, and the novorapid from the pump will be a very slow rate in my case. But I'll essentially follow the driving practice of test before I start, and then probabaly test again when I get on or off the train just to make sure. Snacks with me just in case.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
- train Ely-Cambridge
- cycle to Addenbrookes
- Reverse.

Good Luck @ElyDave for your insulin day!

Reactions: 5 people

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been told I can't drive for at least a week after my pump start due to potentially erratic blood sugars. Unfortunately I was meant to be starting next Friday but the start has been delayed due to staff illness. I feel like Christmas has been cancelled!!

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been told I can't drive for at least a week after my pump start due to potentially erratic blood sugars. Unfortunately I was meant to be starting next Friday but the start has been delayed due to staff illness. I feel like Christmas has been cancelled!!
:(

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nothing was mentioned to me about not driving, other than checking BG's every hour instead of every two hours (when driving) for first week or so and generally being careful in the first few weeks.