Drs diagnosis

multikatie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Spiders
Hello everyone, went to the Drs today, and told her my symptoms, hot than cold and sweaty, Feeling ill, stomach ache and nausea, also she said I had a temperature, looked in my throat to see if I had a throat infection none, than done urine test, she said it's not diabetes but than asked me if I had eaten anything today and I said no, she said only there was some Ketones in my urine but that happened when you haven't eaten anything, so she gave me antibiotics for a water infection she said she highly doubts it that but she doesn't know what it is, so stuck and said if I don't feel better to go back.

Also can anyone tell me how come you can have ketones if you haven't eaten anything, as feel like a loss cause, keep going back the doctors and just prodding me off, I didn't get a request for any blood test done.

she said that she was giving me the antibiotics for a water infection that she highly doubted it was, but didn't know what else it could be, but she defiantly said its something, she give me another pot to pee in before I go back next time as she said she couldn't send it off for test as it needs to be a morning pee, could there still be a change of me being diabetic, as she didn't give a scale on the ketones and how many there was, she tested my stomach, to see if there was anything else, but no pain, just general stomach pain and all the other symptoms I said in previous post.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ketones are produced when your body switches to burning fat. So if you had fasted, you were burning fat. Makes sense to me.

Reactions: 2 people

multikatie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Spiders
Ketones are produced when your body switches to burning fat. So if you had fasted, you were burning fat. Makes sense to me.

Thank you, but could a urine test rule out diabetes 100% only she didn't explain it fully to me, thanks again

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
She could have tested your urine for diabetes, yes. Did you mention you were worried about diabetes to her?

multikatie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Spiders
She could have tested your urine for diabetes, yes. Did you mention you were worried about diabetes to her?

I think it was a general urine test, I didn't as didn't want her to think I was going in trying to diagnose myself, I'll take the antibiotic she gave me, even though ino I'm still going to feel the same, and then I'll go back with another urine sample and see what happens and again voice my concern and push for blood test

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I think they do have a urine test stick that tests a number of general things like glucose, protein, etc.

Definitely go back if you're still feeling unwell, and never worry about asking them to explain if you're not sure what they've tested for or what results mean :)

multikatie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Spiders
Yes, I think they do have a urine test stick that tests a number of general things like glucose, protein, etc.

Definitely go back if you're still feeling unwell, and never worry about asking them to explain if you're not sure what they've tested for or what results mean :)

I don't know all she said it was fine apart from ketones due to not eating, I didn't want to eat before appointment incase it made an inaccurate result or something, thanks again and will do

multikatie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Spiders
Well went back the Dr today and she tested another water sample and said it was fine.

Still doesn't know what it may be, so she is sending me for blood test, for liver, thyroid, full blood count and it says Hba1c for monitoring purposes. And kidneys, so still stuck in the loop to what may be wrong.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello everyone, went to the Drs today, and told her my symptoms, hot than cold and sweaty, Feeling ill, stomach ache and nausea, also she said I had a temperature, looked in my throat to see if I had a throat infection none, than done urine test, she said it's not diabetes but than asked me if I had eaten anything today and I said no, she said only there was some Ketones in my urine but that happened when you haven't eaten anything, so she gave me antibiotics for a water infection she said she highly doubts it that but she doesn't know what it is, so stuck and said if I don't feel better to go back.

Also can anyone tell me how come you can have ketones if you haven't eaten anything, as feel like a loss cause, keep going back the doctors and just prodding me off, I didn't get a request for any blood test done.

she said that she was giving me the antibiotics for a water infection that she highly doubted it was, but didn't know what else it could be, but she defiantly said its something, she give me another pot to pee in before I go back next time as she said she couldn't send it off for test as it needs to be a morning pee, could there still be a change of me being diabetic, as she didn't give a scale on the ketones and how many there was, she tested my stomach, to see if there was anything else, but no pain, just general stomach pain and all the other symptoms I said in previous post.
Well went back the Dr today and she tested another water sample and said it was fine.

Still doesn't know what it may be, so she is sending me for blood test, for liver, thyroid, full blood count and it says Hba1c for monitoring purposes. And kidneys, so still stuck in the loop to what may be wrong.

If you have ketones in urine you are getting your energy from your muscle fat.
The stomach pains and other symptoms could be from simply not eating enough.
If you are worried about being diabetic, why not get your blood glucose levels tested at your local chemists.
After your tests you will have a clearer idea of what is going on.!

multikatie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Spiders
If you have ketones in urine you are getting your energy from your muscle fat.
The stomach pains and other symptoms could be from simply not eating enough.
If you are worried about being diabetic, why not get your blood glucose levels tested at your local chemists.
After your tests you will have a clearer idea of what is going on.!

She said my urine was clear today, and ino my stomach pains and other symptoms are defiantly not from eating less, as it's only been the last 2 -3 weeks I've eaten less, before that was eating normal and still felt the same.

And thanks you for the advice,
Much appreciated

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I understand it glucose only starts appearing if your blood glucose rises above 10mmol/l ish.

Diabetics do not always have blood glucose this high.

So the dip stick test for glucose in urine is a useful first step, and will spot people who have had blood glucose higher than 10 in the last few hours, but it does not rule out diabetes as a possibility. You would need other tests (fasting blood glucose, HbA1c and/or oral glucose tolerance test) to be sure.

multikatie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Spiders
As I understand it glucose only starts appearing if your blood glucose rises above 10mmol/l ish.

Diabetics do not always have blood glucose this high.

So the dip stick test for glucose in urine is a useful first step, and will spot people who have had blood glucose higher than 10 in the last few hours, but it does not rule out diabetes as a possibility. You would need other tests (fasting blood glucose, HbA1c and/or oral glucose tolerance test) to be sure.

Thank you, as I have another immune disease, I do understand that I may be more susceptible to others developing, I'm just hoping these blood test show something, as can't deal with feeling like this for much longer, it has been nearly 2 months feeling ill. And only know are the doctors do blood test, despite me going back numerous times, what does it mean when it says HbA1c for monitoring purposes on blood form, or does it always say that when you get a HbA1c done.

Much appreciated

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She said my urine was clear today, and ino my stomach pains and other symptoms are defiantly not from eating less, as it's only been the last 2 -3 weeks I've eaten less, before that was eating normal and still felt the same.

And thanks you for the advice,
Much appreciated

I agree with both @nosher8355 and @Brunneria about urine testing for glucose; although I think your Doc may have been testing it for evidence of a urine infection.

I'm unsure why you feel you need to focus on a diabetes outcome/diagnosis, but as Nosher suggests, many pharmacies (Lloyds or ASDA do for sure) offer free finger prick testing for high blood glucose.

If you decide to ask your pharmacy to test you, best not to go in just after you have eaten or you many not get a very representative reading. Either first thing, before eating, or perhaps just prior to lunch might be OK.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, as I have another immune disease, I do understand that I may be more susceptible to others developing, I'm just hoping these blood test show something, as can't deal with feeling like this for much longer, it has been nearly 2 months feeling ill. And only know are the doctors do blood test, despite me going back numerous times, what does it mean when it says HbA1c for monitoring purposes on blood form, or does it always say that when you get a HbA1c done.

Much appreciated

There are soooooo many reasons/causes of feeling rough. For example, I have just had a situation where I may have had a "quiet" infection (by that I mean, no great dollops of puss or raging fever) and was prescribed a hefty antibiotic which in turn made me feel worse. Antibiotics can do that as they upset our gut flora as they try to get rid of any infection. A week or so after finishing antibiotics I am just beginning to feel quite a bit perkier in myself.

Sometimes it's hard not to jump to conclusions, but please do try to be patient with your GP who seems to be trying to take small steps forward.

multikatie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Spiders
There are soooooo many reasons/causes of feeling rough. For example, I have just had a situation where I may have had a "quiet" infection (by that I mean, no great dollops of puss or raging fever) and was prescribed a hefty antibiotic which in turn made me feel worse. Antibiotics can do that as they upset our gut flora as they try to get rid of any infection. A week or so after finishing antibiotics I am just beginning to feel quite a bit perkier in myself.

Sometimes it's hard not to jump to conclusions, but please do try to be patient with your GP who seems to be trying to take small steps forward.

Ino what you mean, when you say loads of things can cause you to feel unwell, all together I have had 3 lots of antibiotics for flare ups of my current auto immune condition and another lot for a urine infection that the doctor said she highly doubted I had, so I took them just so I could say that I did what she asked and still felt the same.

I felt the same with and without the antibiotics, I hardly get frustrated it's just sometimes with GPs you feel like your not getting anywhere and when you feel unwell than it makes you more frustrated.

Thanks again

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ino what you mean, when you say loads of things can cause you to feel unwell, all together I have had 3 lots of antibiotics for flare ups of my current auto immune condition and another lot for a urine infection that the doctor said she highly doubted I had, so I took them just so I could say that I did what she asked and still felt the same.

I felt the same with and without the antibiotics, I hardly get frustrated it's just sometimes with GPs you feel like your not getting anywhere and when you feel unwell than it makes you more frustrated.

Thanks again
It can take a few weeks to get over the antibiotics. Do you make sure you have plenty live yoghurt after all these antibiotics? They can play havoc with the gut and that can make us feel yucky in itself.

multikatie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Spiders
It can take a few weeks to get over the antibiotics. Do you make sure you have plenty live yoghurt after all these antibiotics? They can play havoc with the gut and that can make us feel yucky in itself.

Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Much appreciated

I guess the 'for monitoring purposes' is because you haven't been diagnosed with diabetes. People with diabetes would routinely have an HbA1C test, but other people may just have it as a check, like yourself, so the 'for monitoring' probably just means 'to see what's goung on and check it's normal'.

I agree with the comments above about antibiotics. They can make you feel really rough and kill off good bacteria aswell as bad. If you've been unfortunate enough to have had to have a number of courses, that could knock you off kilter maybe.

When you get your blood results back, don't be afraid about asking for an explanation of what they mean. If you're going to phone up to get the results, you could have a pen and paper ready to write them down. That's what I do when I phone for results.

multikatie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Spiders
I guess the 'for monitoring purposes' is because you haven't been diagnosed with diabetes. People with diabetes would routinely have an HbA1C test, but other people may just have it as a check, like yourself, so the 'for monitoring' probably just means 'to see what's goung on and check it's normal'.

I agree with the comments above about antibiotics. They can make you feel really rough and kill off good bacteria aswell as bad. If you've been unfortunate enough to have had to have a number of courses, that could knock you off kilter maybe.

When you get your blood results back, don't be afraid about asking for an explanation of what they mean. If you're going to phone up to get the results, you could have a pen and paper ready to write them down. That's what I do when I phone for results.

Thank you much appreciated