1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Drugs and alchol

Discussion in 'Children & Teens' started by Diabetick, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Diabetick

Diabetick · Member

I'm 15 years old ove had diabetes for only arou d two yearsimtyle 1 diabetic I smoke abit a d smoke weed I have discovered that if you smoke it lowers your blood sugar levels so sometimes I can eat something smoke and my levels will be fine without doing an injection does anyone know what any other drugs do to your levels a d I would like to know more about alchol and diabetes please

2. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

There are two separate things to think about where alcohol is concerned as well as the normal guidlines for people that do not have diabetes.

Some drinks contain sugar and the alcohol can give you low blood sugar.

Spirits do not contain sugar unless you have a mixer with it in which case you should concern yourself more with the mixer. Wine does have unfermented sugar in it and the sweeter the wine the more the sugar. The quantities in wine are not huge and most people can drink a couple of glasses without ill effect. Beer has sugar in it and the summer weight beers have even more and considering the amount of beer some people drink it is worth being a bit careful.

With respect to the alcohol, the liver provides sugar if your blood sugar is low but it won't do so while it is processing alcohol. Mayoclinic.com say that one symptom of a hangover is low blood sugar even in healthy people. You should be aware of this if you are injecting.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hangov ... ION=causes

3. Diabetick

Diabetick · Member

Many thanks for that do you know any good foods to absorb the sugars up or what I need to do if I'm drinking ??

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

4. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

I don't have much advice on this except the universal advice of don't drink on an empty stomach. With wine and spirits there is not much of a problem. With beer you should avoid keg beers if at all possible. Watneys pioneered the Red Barrel which was made from wheat flour and was pretty grim. Other kegs are gassed and can be even more grim. One in my local village tried to gas it with nitrogen. I suppose the logic was that if you don't like it with carbon dioxide then see how you like it with this. All gassed beers will make you puke quicker.

All I can add is it doesn't matter whether or not you have diabetes, drinking too much can get you arrested. Enjoy yourself (in moderation)

PS. Pay particular attention to the low blood sugar problem that comes with a hangover.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook