Dry cough

stuartclose

Have had for the past 8 weeks a dry cough, have had my chest checked all ok, sometimes have clear phlegm, sneezing. Doc says. allergy, tablets have not helped. First thing in morning like a smokers cough - I don't smoke

Have been told could last for a very long time, any ideas?

Going away next weekend would be nice if it was gone.

pauline

Solo Star insulin, 2 x 2 metformin, 1 losartan, 1 simvastin

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
some of the blood pressure tablets can cause a dry cough ask your docter next time you go.Have a good weekend.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You could also have a word with your Pharmacist to see if any of the medications you take have the side-effect of a dry cough, I bet it's pretty **** annoying and do hope it clears up before your break.

angua

Hi Pauline

I had to change from ramipril to losartin because of a stupid cough (6 months it really got me down) it may be that you have that side effect with losartin - speak to your dr - my cough stopped within a couple of days of changing

hope you have a lovely weekend and cough free

Gilly x

Fraddycat

My Diabetic Nurse told me Simvastatin can cause a dry cough, particularly at night when you lay down to sleep. I get it occasionally but not too bad.

C

chris lowe

One of the side effects listed for Rampiril is a dry cough, so ask if there is another you can take - I always forget to ask! The ad on TV for seeing your doc when a cough lasts more than three weeks makes me laugh - I've had a dry tickly cough for a g e s. I only get an x ray if I've had a cold and then he mutters something under his breath, asks if I travel a lot (not TB then) says it's all fine and off I go. It's always worse at night, always seems to start off when I'm in the cinema or theatre when it's really embarrassing. I keep a packet of those sugar free Swiss cough drops in my bag for emergencies. :roll:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I got this dry cough too which went on for months. I used to suck throat tablets which helped as the cough started with a tickle in my throat. I started to suspect Captopril and read the blurb which gave it as a side effect. I discovered that medications ending in "pril" often had that effect and that Captopril was one of the worst. I got my medication changed easily as the doctor knew of the side effect, to a medication which doesn't have "pril" in its name and the cough has virtually gone, but not entirely yet. I had in fact been taking Captopril for years with no side effects. It hadn't been working well either. With the new medication I got the side effect of nausea so we are still looking for the medication that suits me.

Satpathys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am Insuline dependent and this **** dry cough is bothering me past 3 weeks now. I travel a lot and consulted a doctor who advised me to take antibiotics for 5 days~ which dried up the chest congestion and developed dry cough...( tried sugar free cough syrup, cough tablets) now post chest X-ray and blood test doctor have put me on to Puffs( Livolin) for 15 days. The cough is come down but it irritates early morning and evenings. Please suggest n advise. Thanks