1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Dry ears

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Superman10, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Superman10

Superman10 · Newbie

Hi I'm new but have had diabetes 2 for about 10 years on tablets.
    Anyone else get dry flakey skin on the ears in and around worse in the morning I've been washing then putting olive oil on any thing else can put on and is it connected to my diabetes. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Expert

Yes I get this a lot but thought I was just more sensitive to shampoo so am always careful to rinse and dry my ears carefully. I dont know if its anything to do with diabetes or just you get more sensitive as you get older. But it can be annoying.

3. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Vaseline ... or vitamin E.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

I have always periodically had dry skin there - have always been told its excema which I had badly as a kid and which flares up if I include much dairy produce in my diet.
    An emoliant like E40 or sudacream helps mine

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

I have a similar problem. Doctor suggested Daktacort which can be bought over the counter at U.K. chemists. It seems to work but only for a while (week or two). It has to be applied thinly.

If you are in the U.K. at least have a chat to the pharmacist about the product.

• Like Like x 1
    #5 Listlad, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:09 PM
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  6. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek I reversed my Type 2 · Expert

Same problem, my doc told me to just use my eczema ointment. (Put a little on a q-tip). Stops the itching/flaking for about a week or two, then it's back. No idea if it's a T2 thing though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Lots of people write about the benefits of coconut oil on skin problems.. never tried it myself but might be worth go.
    Yes the same stuff you cook with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Methinks it is partly a thing of age (that is 'maturity'), things dry up as we get older (no other specifics will be discussed)!
    Plus skin type - such as proneness to eczema as some have said. which some shampoos and soaps might make worse by drying skin out too much. At least they do so in me.
    I do know that diabetes can make me prone to fungal infections and that moisture in the ears can make that a bit more likely.
    Mild cortisone creams (like mentioned above , usually brand names ending in -cort) help relieve the itch for me but they can flare up a fungal infection if I am not careful.
    I tend to use tea-tree oil - tea trees grow in Oz, not sure if you have the oil in the Northern Hemisphere but it eases skin dryness and has mild anti-fungal properties. I use a cotton bud but just near the entrance to the ear to let the oil drain in and just wipe around the entrance. I never use cotton wool to block up the ears (even if Mrs Kitedoc is talking). That keeps the moisture in and makes bugs and funguses grow. I felt like writing that instead of fungi for once )! Please, pretty please do not moderate it !!
    Once a week I use moisturising and anti-fungal shampoos so that scalp and ears obtain a dollop of prevention.
    There is a saying that one should not put anything smaller than one's elbow in one's earhole. ( No contortionists allowed)!
    I think docs are worried that a cotton bud in there can push wax up inside the ear canal to form a blockage, and anything narrower could cause other problems if put further in.
    May dry ears begone or the least of your troubles !! :hilarious::hilarious:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Listlad

We have Teetree oil here yes, exported from downunder. I use it on my feet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. kitedoc

Great I use it between toes and around nails to prevent dryness and tinea !! I hope it is not too expensive ??

11. Listlad

Well I bought a tiny bottle for several pounds I think it was but it lasts a long time. Seems highly concentrated.

12. Patrick66

Patrick66 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't know if I can directly link it to Diabetes but my ears drive me mad.

Itchy, flaky, sore, uncomfortable. No obvious cause and My doctors had a look and declared them fine whilst they re itching.

13. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have suffered with itchy inner ears for years long before diabetes. Doctor said it is probably dry eczema and just told me to use olive oil but that does not relieve the itching. Now I use even E45 or Sudafed cream just around the inside of the ear but not actually down the opening to the eardrum I do not want to rupture that with a cotton bud

• Like Like x 1
  14. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Possibly Otitis Externa, a form of excema of the canal. I would ask your GP for a referral to ENT.
    Do not be tempted to put anything into the canal to relieve the itching as the skin inside is extremely delicate.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Add me to the list of people that suffer with this - it seems to have got worse over the past couple of years. GP gave me a combined anti-fungal and mild cortisone ointment for it - tubes last forever because it's applied in such small amounts.

16. Listlad

It was a doctor here that recommended Teetree oil for the feet. She said she used it to keep fungal infections from her toenails.

We also see it in shampoos and other such products.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I would not put tea tree oil in my ear canal, I have problem with it on bare skin causing dermatitis.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  18. Listlad

I agree. It is strong stuff. It has to be diluted. I use just a few drops in a bowl of water for my feet.

19. Hungry19

Hungry19 · Well-Known Member

Yes- severely. When showering or washing hair use Cotten wool/tissue smothered in Vaseline to prevent water entering ear. Shampoos/conditioner can trigger it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. kitedoc

Hi @Listlad, Maybe something like this ?
    IMG_4308.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook