Dry mouth and dehydration!

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi folks
wk 6 and i am still drinking at least 3 pints of water from bed time to getting up .I just wondered if that part of being diabetic ever goes away?
Is there anything medical to help with it?
Does anyone still get the thirst after 6 wk
I'm type 2 and on 2xGliclazide pre brekky and pre dinner. :D

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Re: Dry mouth and dehidration!

What have your bg levels been over the last week or so?

Excessive thirst is often associated with high levels of blood glucose, if your levels are still high or are creeping upward you should speak to your doctor/diabetes team/nurse etc.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.

Hi sid here is my last weeks readings
MON. B/FAST .DINNER . TEA . BED
11.8 13.9 10.2 12.4
TUES B/FAST .DINNER . TEA . BED
8.9 9.8 5.9 5.8

WEDS B/FAST .DINNER . TEA . BED
10.5 8.6 7.8 11.8
THURS B/FAST .DINNER . TEA . BED
7.5 11.5 4.2 11.2
FRI B/FAST .DINNER . TEA . BED
9.5 14.4 7.8 7.0

SAT B/FAST .DINNER . TEA . BED
10.8 9.9 10.4 8.7

SUN B/FAST .DINNER . TEA . BED
6.4 8.4 7.3 4.4

hallii

You have some good figures in there, but overall they are way above where I like to be.

I suggest that you have a word with your doc or DSN and take the figures along, you need to work on them a bit more.

The doc might suggest more excercise, more oral meds, and less carbs, or a combination of all three, but I think you need to see him/her.

With better control, (and this can take some months to achieve) your thirst and dry mouth etc. will subside.

In the short term your figures are not a major problem, in the long term they could be, remember it is high blood sugar that does all the damage, once it's under control the complications are far less likely to rear their ugly head.

H

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Be careful Justfocus - you have a 4.2 in there (Thursday) - 3.9 and below is hypo. Can you remember what caused it? Or is it a typo :lol:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Are you getting up to pee, and drinking because your thirsty? Or is just waking up with a raging thirst?

Sounds to me like you may be eating something that your very sensitive to. Maybe try cutting some foods out for a few days and seeing what happens?

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes

Hi patch
still got a raging thirst my wife has gone to get me some strips as i ran out this mornin (not quite use to my testing machine yet as it's the one with the round cartridges .Thirsty all the time?) Seems of my readings the lower they get the more thirsty i am.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

JUSTFOCUS said:
Hi patch
still got a raging thirst my wife has gone to get me some strips as i ran out this mornin (not quite use to my testing machine yet as it's the one with the round cartridges .Thirsty all the time?) Seems of my readings the lower they get the more thirsty i am.

Slightly confused here JF ?? :?

You say the lower your readings the more thirsty you are yet you posted last weeks readings today in another post and they are high most of the time. Your average is 9.7 mmol/l. That would equate to an HbA1c of around 8%.

Consistent high Bg levels would tend to make you thirsty NOT low levels .........

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes

Hi cugila
the readings i have shown are my lowest yet but i am still thirsy all the time :oops:

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
sorry cugila is that average ok?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

JF.
You are doing well for now, if those readings are 2 hrs post meals ???

Until you get those numbers lower you may well still be thirsty a lot of the time. Is drinking loads of fluids still a habit ??

As for the average........getting there but still a little way to go. Give it time and heed the dietary advice you were given a while back.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes

Hi culiga
It seems to be worse threw the night.I try to have a pint of water after every meal daytime.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

As stated, once those numbers post meal get lower you should see an improvement.

I take it there is no underlying medical reason other than your Diabetes as there are other things which can cause dehydration and increased thirst. ? Maybe something that you might discuss with your GP next time you see him/her.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

As said already raised bg can cause a dry mouth and dehydration, but also certain medications can have side effects of this nature too, if this continues seek help from your gp or diabetes team.

Nigel