Dumbing Down?

Unbeliever

I have posted before about DSN's taking or having hrus upon them - all responsility for patients of diabees but things are geing worse! its spreading to the hospital too/

Went to the eye clinic last week for laser reatment to "seal In " my steroid injection and was rather upse to find that it wasn't possible to do any more laser in the eye as I have had too much. Without laser the effects of the injection will only last for a few months. As I am always blinded by floaters for 4 weeks of this period I was not happy at the prospect .

It thus became more important for me to have the injection and follow-up laser asap in the other eye . This was ageed beween he consultant and another doctor who went away to make sure his was put in train immediately .

Today I received a letter with the promised appointment - a little later than expected. Unfortunately for me I have much eperience of the running of the popthalmologty dept
and was surprised o find that I had been given a day and time when another procedure was usually carried ou . As he clinic had been very busy I was no very surprised that a mistake had been made as both involved injections o the eye but obviously needed to get it put right.

I duly telephoned and explained to the admissions officer that it appeared a mistake had been made. I couldn't believe that she wouldn't accep what I told her. she just kept reiterating that I was "down for" what I knew o be the wrong procedure. I have had both and it was decided a while ago hat one was totally ineffectual for me. I sudddenly realised that I knew who this person ws and that from my observation of her she was reluctant o mve from her sea.
Because the letter I had received [which only gave a ime and place not details of the pricedure} tied in with what she had on the computer before her - which it must as both refered to the same hing I had to be wrong. When I insisted he tried to tell me that it was noemal practice to alternate these injections!
I asked o be put though to the consultants secretary - she told me there was no need as she would go and speak to him. I was able to inform her that he would be in the operating theatre!
at last .reluctantly she was forced to rise from her seat and walk the few feet o where he files were kept .
she returned and agreed that i was rihgt. No change of toneand no apology. I was less than gracious in return. she then started to bluster abut 2letters crossing in the post ". apparently I shpuld have been give an appointment in another week insted of the 6 weeks in the letter because ihis had been requesed ,.
If I had accepted her word or had been a new paient I would have wased several weeks and the error may or may not have beeen discovered on the day. i once had to argue with a surgeon at the operating theatre door because he hadn't read the notes!
i am sure mayny patients would have just accepted the word of the "admissions officer" I might have done so myself a few years ao.
No wonder people lose he wrong limbs and organs.
tI was very angry and upset . This is the second occasion in a few weeks i have had to argue - quite forcibly with people who are supposed to be helping me. I am still sufffering ereme inconvemience from the behaviour of a pracice nurse who arbitrarily cancelled my HBA1C which then affected
subsequent appointments merely because SHE had omitted to send out invitations to reviews.

I can understand errors but to blame patients for their errors and compound hem because of laziness is unforgiveable.

Its almost like a lottery. regardles of what he consultant orders he patients are only to be teated according to the letters which have been sent out - incorrect or not.
I despair. Why does everything have to be complicated? We hear a lot about too many administrators in the NHS, I think more are needed . Preferably of beter quality and wih a better atitude. I am sick of constant battles for no good reason

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
This sort of problem goes on elsewhere in the NHS, Unbeliever.

I've recently had something similar with Gynaecology. When I asked my GP to refer me, I specifically asked not to be given a certain procedure which I had last year and which was the most horrific thing I've ever been through - and I'm not squeamish!

I duly got a letter giving me 2 appointments on the same day - one for a scan, one with the consultant. Fine!

I week later I got another letter cancelling those and giving me one appointment with "A Nurse"! I rang up and asked what this was for - yes, the procedure I had specifically asked not to have inflicted on me :shock:

Fortunately I was able to speak to the consultant's very understanding secretary, who soon sorted matters out and I now have 2 appointments again. But - she warned me to stick to my guns if the receptionist or nurse tried to put me in for the other procedure when I got there!

I would love to know who it was who countermanded the Head Consultant's orders in the first place, obviously without any reference to my notes whatsoever.

Just who is in charge in the NHS now. The Appointments Clerks?

Viv 8)

Unbeliever

I think they are VIV.

What abou the people who can't stick to their guns or don't know that there are guns to be suck to? {if you get me}

I am sure it does go on elsewhere, Not just in the NHS either. there seems to be a culture of denying mistakes and putting the onus on the "wronged " party to put it right. I object to being forced into being "asserive" ie obnoious and aggressive when I am only trying to clarify what I am expected to do.

It seems very odd tthat some people in the NHS are spouting platitudes bout "the patient eperience " etc while those on the fromnt line appear o have carte blanche o confuse and brow bea he same patients.
You have to be very well to deal wih the NHS.