1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

DVLA & GP Delays

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by Peppergirl, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Peppergirl

Peppergirl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

DVLA received my medical licence renewal on 20th September 2021 and only because I asked my MP to intervene did they send a letter to my GP 6 months later on 31st March 2022. Nothing's happened with my GP as this is not classed as NHS work, so the 12 months under section 88 is quickly running out. Everything is fine health wise. I have no reason to believe that the diabetes consultant or neurologist (MS) would stop me driving, if they are contacted. I've not been in this position before. What happens after the 12 months? Do I have to resit my driving test? I'm trying to get through to the DVLA but there are long delays.

Thanks

Sally

2. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sorry, I can't help regrading what happens after 12 months but I am concerned that you believe you are driving under section 88 and have no reason to believe the diabetes consultant or neurologist would stop you driving.
    You can only drive under section 88 if you have a doctor's approval TO drive. If you do not have proof a doctor has given you approval to drive, you are not entitled to drive.

3. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm also waiting for my medical licence to be renewed, but got a letter from my Diabetes Endocrinologist, so that I could drive under section 88. It's a nightmare trying to phone them. When I spoke to Citizens Advice, the lady said her relatives licence took 13 months to come, she didn't mention taking another test or anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sarah69

Sarah69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have been waiting over a year now since sending in the renewal form. Around Jan/Feb time I had a form about mental health from DVLA to fill in, I guess regarding a different anti depressant I was taking. I’ve heard nothing since. I can’t seem to contact them either!

• Hug Hug x 1
  5. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

OP have reported success after contacting their MP, so maybe a route to consider?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook