1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

DVLA timescales?

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by Ali H, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Ali H

Ali H Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I sent my forms notifying them about becoming insulin dependant back in June, around the 23rd. Not a dicky bird from them to date? Is this usual? I have heard they can take months to respond but has anybody else done this recently and got a response?

Thanks.

Ali

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Try chasing them up tomorrow, I recently renewed my licence and they took around 8 weeks (although they were doing some checks).

3. Ali H

Ok thanks, probably lost then, sigh.

Ali

4. Cath40

Cath40 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

hi im in the same boat now just been told i have to go on insulin ........can you still drive why your waiting for them to respond?

5. Geordie lass

Geordie lass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It took DVLA 3 months to return my driving licence and that was late last year. I still drove during this time as it was permitted.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ali H

Yes you can carry on driving providing a Dr hasn't told you you must refrain. My letter was sent Monday, everything is ok just got to send my licence back for my 3 year one.

Ali

• Like Like x 2
  7. Cath40

Cath40 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

ah ok thanks for that hopefully i will be ok and geet my licence sorted dr has not said anything about my driving

8. Ali H

Returned my licence today so should get a 3 year one back.

Ali

9. manicarrie

manicarrie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Mine was back within a fortnight. Maybe because I took it to their office mind, no excuses for it getting lost ........

10. Crimsonclient

Crimsonclient LADA · Well-Known Member

When they did mine it took 10 months

11. janeliz

janeliz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I sent forms to the DVLA to tell them I had gone on insulin July 20th. I am still waiting to hear. I did e-mail the end of August to enquire on time scales . They replied saying they were behind and waiting for information and would be in touch in due course. You can drive until they tell you cannot, if that is the outcome. You are also obliged to inform your car insurance that you have gone on insulin and are awaiting DVLA response to your driving status. Otherwise, you may not be covered in the event of claim.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook