Dvla 'unaware' of my diabetes

Lucus17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After a recent diabetes clinic my nurse told me I should call the dvla as my licence was a ten year not three. So I call them and apparently they were unaware of this. This is absolute rubbish as I am the third child in my immediate family with diabetes so my parents were well used to applying for a diabetics driving licence by the time my turn came up! I even remember them checking with the doctors so I have no idea how this is even possible! Blatantly lost the relevant form! Annoying though as because of someone's negligence I could of been seriously fined! Least they are informed now I guess... Anyone else had this problem?

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes! Yes! Yes. I have been T1 diabetic since 2004 and I know I told the DVLA when I changed my address at that time as I ticked the form for the relevant medical condition. However, last year I moved address and apparently they were not aware of my medical condition, after 9 years! How ridiculous. I told the lady that I spoke to that if they look back on their records for 2004/5 then they will see that I ticked the form against IDDM. I also said to her that some staff member had been incompetent and obviously not doing their job correctly! To that I received no reply and was then given my 3 year licence, albeit three months later! I don't rate the DVLA very highly in processing documents quickly!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lucus17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes! Yes! Yes. I have been T1 diabetic since 2004 and I know I told the DVLA when I changed my address at that time as I ticked the form for the relevant medical condition. However, last year I moved address and apparently they were not aware of my medical condition, after 9 years! How ridiculous. I told the lady that I spoke to that if they look back on their records for 2004/5 then they will see that I ticked the form against IDDM. I also said to her that some staff member had been incompetent and obviously not doing their job correctly! To that I received no reply and was then given my 3 year licence, albeit three months later! I don't rate the DVLA very highly in processing documents quickly!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Just got letter from dvla today. They are happy to issue my 3 year licence so that's nice. Just need to inform insurance about my 'restriction' hope that doesn't effect things

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
After a recent diabetes clinic my nurse told me I should call the dvla as my licence was a ten year not three. So I call them and apparently they were unaware of this. This is absolute rubbish as I am the third child in my immediate family with diabetes so my parents were well used to applying for a diabetics driving licence by the time my turn came up! I even remember them checking with the doctors so I have no idea how this is even possible! Blatantly lost the relevant form! Annoying though as because of someone's negligence I could of been seriously fined! Least they are informed now I guess... Anyone else had this problem?

As you are old enough to drive thus old enough to apply for a licence, then it is and was down to you to check the form was correct you obviously had to sign the legal document to say the information was correct.
So the bus stops with you. (pardon the pun)

Lucus17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mate you misunderstand. What I'm saying is that we did do the right application. I'm saying it was right because my parents had done it before and helped me with it. Heck I'll even add that I remember the doctors checks. Hence they messed up not me... I had already done all this but thanks to someone loosing my info it wasn't added on my licence... If I fill in all the right forms I can't be blamed if they Don't process them. Maybe since I'm old enough to drive I should also of been psychic to know they hadn't hmm?