e-bay and test strips.

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
Hi there folks, has anyone ever had a problem with buying strips from e-bay? I have been bidding on some for a day or so, and have just had an e-mail from e-bay to say they had " brought the auction to a close" as the item transgressed their rules. I have previously bought strips this way, but on going back to the site today, I see they have removed most of the items that were for sale,I know this as I was watching several. Anyone got an answer? :evil: :evil: :cry:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Go for buy it now!! Check out that the seller is 100% or so. Some of the drug companies are complaining about strips being sold so if you use buy it now you often get them before they are 'pulled' from Ebay!!!

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
Don't the drug companies make enough money!!!! I am sure the number of strips sold on e-bay will bankrupt them overnight :evil: . Thanks for the advice, I just can't believe these drug companies. I know they pay for research and development, but I also know their prices are artificially high. There are meds that are duplicated in the human and animal world of medicines, and the vet products are much cheaper, though identical. I did have a list once but that got lost!

welshtony

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Be a bit wary, though.

One of the last batches I bought I'm sure was faulty in some way (maybe poorly stored). The readings I got were at least a point above what I'd previously been getting (sometimes two), and when I switched to a new batch, the readings returned to close to their previous levels.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
valattrevear said:
Don't the drug companies make enough money!!!!
They certainly do and what I find most annoying about their complaints is that they have already been paid their profits on the strips so why should they object to someone selling them on?

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
Corporate greed is a terrible thing Dennis, but my faith in Humankind is restored when I come here, and find so many people who will give their time, and share their hard-earned knowledge with all who ask. I have just re-read that and it sounds a bit sickly :oops: , but I mean every word!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
In the last month I have bought test strips for a Contour and an Aviva as I have and use both these meters. Ive not had a problem with test strips sold on ebay, always ascertain that they are in date before bidding and pay via paypal, then if there is a problem paypal will refund your money. In over 400 ebay purchases I have only ever had 3 problems and they were sorted as soon as I phoned ebay and complained. On second thoughts no, don't buy off ebay as you may well be bidding against me and push the price up :lol:

If an item is removed it is likely that the seller has contravened ebay rules like saying they dont accept paypal or something like that, there is no reason why a drug company would complain that there consumables are offered for sale, a private sale has nothing to do with the manufacturer unless the goods in question are counterfeit.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
It was one touch .I got them delivered the same day Ebay said they were 'pulled'!!

If an item is removed it is likely that the seller has contravened ebay rules like saying they dont accept paypal or something like that, there is no reason why a drug company would complain that there consumables are offered for sale, a private sale has nothing to do with the manufacturer unless the goods in question are counterfeit.

I actually have the explanation from Ebay Sid. They were taken off because of 'Intellectual property rights' The strips themselves were in excellent condition and certainly were not counterfeit.

Helping to Protect Intellectual Property

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

At eBay, our mission is to provide a global online marketplace where practically anyone can trade practically anything, enabling economic opportunity around the world.

While eBay has created a unique online trading platform, it is our community of users who build this very dynamic and robust trading environment. This community of users is guided by five fundamental values when buying or selling on eBay.

As part of our mission, we are committed to help protecting the intellectual property rights of rights owners and to providing our users with a safe and enjoyable place to trade.

For this reason, eBay has created the Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Programme so rights owners can report listings that infringe their rights. Any person or company who holds intellectual property rights (such as a copyright, trademark or patent) which may be infringed by listings or items sold on eBay is encouraged to participate in the VeRO Programme.

In addition, we believe that by providing information and guidelines to our community of users, everyone can contribute to help building a safe and reliable marketplace where people can find success.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
I can understand why E-Bay would want to stop an "original" seller of a branded product if the seller was not the manufacturer. That would stop the sale of fake goods.

But what they are doing is banning the re-selling of branded items by anyone who was not the manufacturer (only the manufacturer can have intellectual property rights). On that basis chemists also wouldn't be able to sell them because they don't have intellectual property rights to the goods!

It effectively allows the manufacturer to dictate who will be allowed to sell their goods, so smacks of resale price maintenance, which has been illegal for many years.

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
The strips I was trying to buy were Lifescan one touch. If there is a problem with indirect selling on e-bay, surely that should not only be applied to protect the fat cat drug companies? Are we now to expect Rover to complain about the resale of their cars, or Evans crying about second hand clothes sales. Just how much clout do the likes of Bayer etc have? :shock:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
In the last couple of weeks, I have received strips for my Freestyle Mini and my Contour, from eBay, without a hitch. I think I may just go to Abbot Diabetes Care for the Freestyle, when they start to run low.

jopar

I do ponder whether it's the companies at all complaining about there sale!

But more likely proving the legality of the salers right to sale the item on open market..

Several months ago, Hanna brought some test strips from a saler on e-bay only to find when she recieved them, they had been gained by precription.. which as we all know that it is a ilegal offence to give medication/medical equipment prescribed to you to another individual, and well selling these items is the next offence up in legailty of the crime..

So I would imagine that for e-bay to monitor wheather an buyer has a legal right to sale the strips, or is selling off there surplus supplies that have been prescribed to them by there doctor would be very difficult to monitor, so it's another item that has been stuck off there list of allowable items to sell on e-bay before they come into a situation of have they aided and abetted an individual to comment an ilegal offence/transaction?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
eBay was built on a simple idea - that we could empower people by building a global trading platform where practically anyone could buy or sell practically anything. But that idea is now under threat from certain brand owners and manufacturers who are trying to turn back the clock and block the sale of their products on online marketplaces and other websites across the EU.
Ultimately, what is at stake is the right of sellers to compete
fairly in the wider online marketplace, and the right of buyers
to be able to access the best possible deals from the widest
possible selection of goods.

Some of these brand owners argue that their objective is to prevent the sale of counterfeits on eBay.
But thanks to our work with 31,000 other rights owners, only 0.15% of listings last year were detected or
reported as potentially counterfeit. The real aim of these brands is to block the sale of all their products on our site - regardless of whether such items are new or second-hand, genuine or fake. It's not just luxury items that are affected, but also everyday items like children's toys, electronic equipment, lawnmowers and pushchairs. And if we want to prevent other brand owners from following suit, we need to act now.
We are therefore calling on European policymakers to amend EU competition law to stop these unfair
trade practices. But we need your help to persuade them to take action. If you would like to join our
campaign against online trade barriers, please sign our petition.
Regards,
Your eBay Team
Sign here

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dennis said:
I can understand why E-Bay would want to stop an "original" seller of a branded product if the seller was not the manufacturer. That would stop the sale of fake goods.

But what they are doing is banning the re-selling of branded items by anyone who was not the manufacturer (only the manufacturer can have intellectual property rights). On that basis chemists also wouldn't be able to sell them because they don't have intellectual property rights to the goods!

It effectively allows the manufacturer to dictate who will be allowed to sell their goods, so smacks of resale price maintenance, which has been illegal for many years.
Hi All,
This problem is likely to get far worse. Ebay are asking users to protest against this sort of behaviour by adding their name to the eBay online protest. There are many large companies who are demanding that eBay stops its sellers from offering goods for sale at reduced prices, including electrical, medical, clothing and fragrances, loads of things. Ironically, many of these companies sell their own "second grade" items at reduced prices on eBay anyway! Some time back Superdrug was stopped from selling perfumes at reduced prices in their high street stores in the same way. These companies are just trying to make sure they earn top dollar for items that are clearly able to be sold for far less, if they really want to.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
sugarless sue said:
eBay was built on a simple idea - that we could empower people by building a global trading platform where practically anyone could buy or sell practically anything. But that idea is now under threat from certain brand owners and manufacturers who are trying to turn back the clock and block the sale of their products on online marketplaces and other websites across the EU.
Ultimately, what is at stake is the right of sellers to compete
fairly in the wider online marketplace, and the right of buyers
to be able to access the best possible deals from the widest
possible selection of goods.

Some of these brand owners argue that their objective is to prevent the sale of counterfeits on eBay.
But thanks to our work with 31,000 other rights owners, only 0.15% of listings last year were detected or
reported as potentially counterfeit. The real aim of these brands is to block the sale of all their products on our site - regardless of whether such items are new or second-hand, genuine or fake. It's not just luxury items that are affected, but also everyday items like children's toys, electronic equipment, lawnmowers and pushchairs. And if we want to prevent other brand owners from following suit, we need to act now.
We are therefore calling on European policymakers to amend EU competition law to stop these unfair
trade practices. But we need your help to persuade them to take action. If you would like to join our
campaign against online trade barriers, please sign our petition.
Regards,
Your eBay Team
Sign here

That's real good information you found Sue. :D

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
This is all very sad, but year after year more things are being withdrawn from sale on ebay. It seems only yesterday that a working copy of windows xp or office could be bought for a few pounds :lol:

Seriously though I can see why companies would complain about copies of software or counterfeit products but surely if I buy something it becomes my property so it is for me to decide what to do with it, keep it, use it or sell it.

I did sign this petition a few weeks ago, I didnt realise that it would affect sellers so soon :cry:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sid.

If you look at the terms and conditions of most products that you buy you will find that the manufacturer always retains the intellectual rights to the property even when you have bought it.

Those rights are never transferred. It usually states that no further re-selling etc can take place without the manufacturers consent. The only people allowed to re-sell are the authorised distributors. (Chemists and other such stores)

So strictly speaking you cannot do what you want with it. Most companies do not pursue individuals through the courts, but they could. It is the ones who have obtained the goods by fair means or foul and who are trading in the goods who are at risk, as here on Ebay. The companies use the term, their goodwill and reputation is being undermined. Probably not fair, but then nothing is. :(

Ken.

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
Success :D , have just bought 100 strips for £20.00, using the "buy it now" system, absolutely delighted, :lol: .How sad is my life! :oops:

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
Currently my doctors allow me to request testing strips every time I put in for a repeat prescription.
If I did request testing strips with every prescription I would have too many for my own use.

I know I could not sell the extra on eBay but if I offered them on this site...?
For post and packing costs only.

Would there be any objection from site moderators or users to me doing this?