Early mornings

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
For the last 4 mornings on the trot I have woken around 4am/5am feeling absolutely dreadful.

My head feels as if someone were pressing the sides in, my brain feels numb. my toes are tingling and I have burning sensations on both feet around the toe nails.

When I have checked my BS I get a reading of 1.9, but when I re-check an hour later, it is back to its normal self of around 5.2.

I have not changed my diet or added anything to it, I have started to drink black coffee again as I got fed up with tea.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
1.9 is well within serious hypo territory and I think you should consult your GP or DN asap. The reason you are back up again an hour later is due to your body demanding your liver to pump glucose out into your system, but getting down to 1.9 should not happen in the first instance, and if for some reason your liver did not respond, you could be in trouble.

Please get off to see a HCP as a matter of urgency!

PS ...do you test immediately before bed time?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Joe.
What is your pre-bed level, immediately before bedtime ?

When you drop that low in the night you will find your body automatically will 'liver dump' glucose into your system so upping the level, however you will get all sorts of symptoms such as you describe, they are warning signs that your body is in a hypoglycaemic state.

It may be your level is much too low before bed so you might have to consider a late night snack to push the level a little higher.

As a T2 you are in no danger but will just feel cr*p ! Discuss with your DSN if you are concerned.
Ken

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
My bedtime lvl's are usually between 5.4 - 6.1

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Joe.
Personally I would prefer the levels to be a little higher before bed, nearer 7 mmol/l most times.
Try the carby snack late evening which will prevent any 'liver dump' and see how you go. It might also mean that some of your medication might need reducing, possibly the Glic first. I found that my levels were going too low whilst I was on that, especially after losing loads of weight as you have.

If this persists you need to discuss this with your GP/DSN and get your meds reviewed and a thorough check up. It may also be something not totally Diabetes related. Hope that helps.

Ken.