Eat As Much As You Can - Thai restaurant

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I haven't been to a buffet restaurant yet since diagnoses and wondering how to handle it.

The thing is, if you inject a lot before thinking you'll eat loads but then get full you've had too much insulin. But if you don't have enough insulin you'd have to keep injecting?

Any advice? Eating sensibly is not an option lol

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It all depends on how much you think you'll be eating. Maybe have a quick look at what's on offer and work out sensibly how much you think you'll realistically be able to eat. Inject for that, then if you eat less, have a sugary drink on hand to take up the rest of the insulin, or if you eat more, top up your insulin when you have finished.
That's what I used to to when I was on injections. :)

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've eaten in a few of these restaurants over the years. All i would say is do as Emma suggests and get a rough idea how much your going to eat, if your not sure then just give a small dose of insulin upfront and again later, better to correct later than go hypo in the restaurant and spoil your evening.

Reactions: 7 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd do it as Noble head suggested and have a bit upfront and the rest later . If there is any possibility of having to wait ie queuing don't inject until you are certain you are about to eat.

Reactions: 5 people

paul4147

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've eaten at all you can eat restaurants too, and tbh switch to injecting after I've finished for accuracy, and to take the guess work away. Yes, your bs will be higher, but to me that's correctable rather than having to force myself to eat to what Ive guessed at pre meal

Works for me......