1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Eat As Much As You Can - Thai restaurant

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Emmotha, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Emmotha

Emmotha Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I haven't been to a buffet restaurant yet since diagnoses and wondering how to handle it.

The thing is, if you inject a lot before thinking you'll eat loads but then get full you've had too much insulin. But if you don't have enough insulin you'd have to keep injecting?

Any advice? Eating sensibly is not an option lol

2. Emma_P23

Emma_P23 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It all depends on how much you think you'll be eating. Maybe have a quick look at what's on offer and work out sensibly how much you think you'll realistically be able to eat. Inject for that, then if you eat less, have a sugary drink on hand to take up the rest of the insulin, or if you eat more, top up your insulin when you have finished.
    That's what I used to to when I was on injections. :)

• Like Like x 4
  3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I've eaten in a few of these restaurants over the years. All i would say is do as Emma suggests and get a rough idea how much your going to eat, if your not sure then just give a small dose of insulin upfront and again later, better to correct later than go hypo in the restaurant and spoil your evening.

• Like Like x 7
  4. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

I'd do it as Noble head suggested and have a bit upfront and the rest later . If there is any possibility of having to wait ie queuing don't inject until you are certain you are about to eat.

• Like Like x 5
  5. paul4147

paul4147 Type 1 · Member

I've eaten at all you can eat restaurants too, and tbh switch to injecting after I've finished for accuracy, and to take the guess work away. Yes, your bs will be higher, but to me that's correctable rather than having to force myself to eat to what Ive guessed at pre meal

Works for me......

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook