Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow you die. Perhaps.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Some time back (beginning of February) I was diagnosed with a growth in my bladder which turned out to be bladder cancer.

At that point I decided that LCHF/Keto was part of a strategy to stay healthy over the long term and that I would be really "unhappy" if I spent my last 6 months to a year living on handfuls of gravel and scummy rainwater.
[Well, not literally but you get the idea.]

I dived off the wagon and proceeded to explore what I had been missing.
Some was ecstasy and some was decidedly "meh" which was interesting in itself.

I had cystoscopy followed by TURBT and 6 weeks of chemotherapy (directly into the bladder through a catheter).
After the TURBT I was told that I was low grade and slow growing which I found very insulting until I was told that this was a good thing.:rolleyes:

Anyway I have a letter saying that I am cured (for selected values of cured) and I am now on monitoring.
3 months, 3 months, 6 months, then annually for 4 years.
5 years in total.
The upside is that I may last a little longer.
The downside is that bladder cancer can reoccur.
However so far so good.:cool:

Having come to the end of my chemotherapy I now have to get back on the wagon.
I am house sitting for a couple of weeks as a break from all the stress, and aiming to slowly get back on the wagon.
Brought a Libre 2 with me and guess what?
For the first time ever I have a duff sensor but I didn't bring a spare so there will be a delay before I start monitoring.
Because I didn't bring my finger prick tester.:(

As a side issue I have been troubled with constipation since my TURBT.
I think it is due to my intestinal flora being wiped out by the antibiotics needed to cure the UTI following a lot of things being poked up my urethra.
[You have very little personal dignity left after bladder investigations.]
However correlation does not imply causation.
If I had these symptoms without having the TURBT I would be wondering about problems within the bowel.
So I'm scheduled for a sigmoidoscopy just to double check.
Meanwhile I am eating All Bran for roughage because that seems to help. However sugar.
And eating loads of prebiotics and probiotics to get my guts back into proper action. However bananas and prunes.

Anyway hopefully all will be sorted by the end of the month.

Take this as a lesson that Diabetes can sometimes turn out to be slightly less important and all consuming as we sometimes think.
Then again perhaps not.:)

Reactions: AloeSvea

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Triple emoji needed, hug and winner and optimistic.
Love the sense of humour and wit.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Amazing :)

After a recent crazy couple of years and what I thought was a dieing experience, I have become more philosophical about life and death, it’s the “we are here for a good time, not a long time” attitude, this isn’t good when you are staring at a double decker but supposed to be eating healthily, stuff like this really does put things into perspective, we are all heading to the same fate after all, if we eat terribly or like angels, look after ourselves and abstain or just do whatever makes us feel good.

So happy you’ve got a temporary pass :) best of luck

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some time back (beginning of February) I was diagnosed with a growth in my bladder which turned out to be bladder cancer.

At that point I decided that LCHF/Keto was part of a strategy to stay healthy over the long term and that I would be really "unhappy" if I spent my last 6 months to a year living on handfuls of gravel and scummy rainwater.

I had cystoscopy followed by TURBT and 6 weeks of chemotherapy (directly into the bladder through a catheter).
After the TURBT I was told that I was low grade and slow growing which I found very insulting until I was told that this was a good thing.:rolleyes:

Anyway I have a letter saying that I am cured (for selected values of cured) and I am now on monitoring.
5 years in total.

I am house sitting for a couple of weeks as a break from all the stress, and aiming to slowly get back on the wagon.
For the first time ever I have a duff sensor but I didn't bring a spare so there will be a delay before I start monitoring.

I think it is due to my intestinal flora being wiped out by the antibiotics needed to cure the UTI following a lot of things being poked up my urethra.
If I had these symptoms without having the TURBT I would be wondering about problems within the bowel.
Meanwhile I am eating All Bran for roughage because that seems to help. However sugar.
And eating loads of prebiotics and probiotics to get my guts back into proper action. However bananas and prunes.

Take this as a lesson that Diabetes can sometimes turn out to be slightly less important and all consuming as we sometimes think.

Another sorry to hear you've had that very upsetting news.:sorry:

But how wonderful to hear such good news after all the chemo, etc...brilliant :headphone:

Liking the humour & outlook ..(I tend to think that's god's gift to get us through some really dark times )..triple emoji for definite required

Can sympathise on the "puts things in perspective"
Very easy to get wrapped up in diabetes, and forget we're still vulnerable to so much more in this world*

*Awful accident, followed by a month in HDU, and i hear you loud & clear about dignity being lost .

Best we can do is grin & bear it and put our minds in our 'happy place' ..is my note to myself for any future requirements in that department.

And going off piste...yep an adventure in itself.
Had to amend my diet somewhat too for a while

And agree that one or two bits of forbidden fruit being as good as I remember but most of it was way too sweet now....which shows how far we've come, taste wise.

Hoping the stomach etc settles down and the roughage had the desired effects ..

I guess for any of us in some ways reminded of our own mortality, our view on life changes .

We can be over anxious over what might be or embrace it as a gift of whatever extra time it brings us
A very humbling experience, I found.

I'm sure for some looking in, it might seem hard to understand it can be a positive as well as s negative experience.

But given the end is unavoidable, it is moments like that, that are an early reminder not to waste the time we have left.

But to enjoy as many moments in each day, in whatever way we can.
Something far too easy to lose sight of in the bustle of day to day living .

For me, the downside of my treatment at the side of the road to stabilise me, left with an "end of life" experience.:wideyed:

The horror of 'living' through those moments, so vividly, thanks to the strength of drugs given, disturbed me tremendously.
I thought that dying would be the worst part.
But once I accepted that, that part was easy.

The part that hurt the most was leaving loved ones to cope without me.

The positive is I now see that moment so clearly.

So I make sure to tell them how much they mean to me, in some way, every day
because I now REALLY know, tomorrow can be too late .

Few events in life shapes us as much as these.

For better or worse they re-awaken our senses, & help us see the beauty that was always around us, in all its glory.

Hoping you too find pleasurable ways to enjoy the many years left.

Best wishes going forward
Every day from here on in, IS the
First day of the rest of our lives xx

Last edited:

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've posted my curative opinion on constipation before so won't repeat it, but in short. natural greek yoghurt. Unscientifically, 4 or 5 tablespoons a day will build up you bug level. Maybe a month, but see how you go. No downside as far as I can see.

Oh, well done on the bladder thing.

edit: One other observation. I've been remission following chemo/radio 10 years ago and major surgery for esophagectomy 5 years ago, and I find T1 more frustrating than the cancer. One is a constant battle the other 'is what it is'. No contest. YMMV

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding

5 years in total.

A truly inspirational message. Regarding "dignity", I think when we are in hospital, we somehow morph into expectant mothers in the delivery suite. The following is from my final transplant attempt 9 years ago:

Various individuals came and asked “public” (because the plastic “Please ask before entering” curtains render all attempts at privacy futile) questions about my digestive workings. One male nurse had had the same operation two years previously and regarding these very questions informed me that my progress was miles ahead of his at the time. He still has my utmost sympathy. It is hardly surprising that all my expectations had focused on abdominal muscle pain. The real problem, which goes on for weeks, is intestinal spasm which causes trapped wind and therefore badly disturbed sleep. Dr John Cannon, (or Doctor John, of Dermot O'Leary fame), who happens to be my GP, prescribed nothing more than peppermint oil capsules which have transformed my life. As he said “It is important to find something that does not interfere with medication.” Back to the magic “hear-through curtain” I had become immune to public announcements about enemas. At least the other three patients, who all happened to be liver transplants, had something to amuse them.

So pleased to hear your positive news - you deserve to win.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thank you all for your kind support.