Eat, Fast and Live Longer

A

Anonymous

Did anyone else see that programme this evening on fasting? Really interesting - think I might have to experiment..

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Have jut seen it advertised in paper and realised I have missed it. Do you know if it gets repeated? Would it be possible for you to give us a brief summary of what they were saying?

Thanks. Judith :)

Eurydice333

Dislikes
my complete lack of motivation about anything.
Yep I found it really interesting. I liked the guys idea of 5 days normal and 2 days fasting because it seems more realistic but i feel like the 1 day intermittent fasting makes more sense because there's more consistency (if you eat healthy on the normal day too, not burgers and ice cream like they did). My bf is interested in it too but I said I'd like to do more research first and also mention it to my diabetes doctor just to get another opinion.

Eurydice333

Dislikes
my complete lack of motivation about anything.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv

watch this Judith, it's the one called Horizon, eat,fast and live longer

he's looking into anti-aging/living longer/reducing risk of heart problems and diabetes, he goes onto research different type of diets which include fasting methods and as a result it reduces the likelihood by half. Obviously it's all still experimental and there's not much information on how this type of fasting affects humans in the long term.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It was a very interesting programme and it was said Michael Mosely was borderline diabetic and he lowered his glucose, BMI, and weight, so a really good result :thumbup: He says he is going to carry on with the 2 day fasting and was very positive about the whole thing. Its still in the early stages and to always check with your doctor when going on any type of diet/food reduction activity. RRB

angua

swimmer2 said:
Really interesting - think I might have to experiment..

Fascinating programme - Michael Mosley bg dropped from 6.3 to 4.4 after the 3 day fast ! and 5 weeks body fat from 27 to 19

I'm with swimmer - I think I might have to experiment tomorrow. :think:

Gilly

Defren

I saw the program and it explains why the Newcastle diet may work, and how. I did four weeks with just 500 calories a day, and weeks 5-8 with around 600-700 calories a day.

The 5:2 fast would be a walk in the park (for me). I would just go back to doing the shakes 2 days a week, and my diet is ultra healthy usually, so that helps I guess.

I'm going to think about this, but I really like the idea, and may start it at the beginning of September. It's not going to take a great deal of thinking about though I must admit. I am fanatical about keeping my BG down, and terrified of complications, and this could be the answer.

I'm talking myself into this aren't I? :lol:

I know my GP would support me, he supported my crazy decision to do the Newcastle diet, and he is also fully aware a controlled diabetic is costing the practice less. Shoot - I have to at least give this a try, but not until September, as I have commitments that would make it difficult before then.

Anyone feel like joining me?

angua

The more I think about it, plus reviewing my cholesterol levels of

cholesterol 6.3
trigs 3.6
HDL 1.04
LDL 3.6

Ratio 6.1

HbA1c 58 or 7.5

(does anyone think its weird that no-one seems concerned about my lipids and the only comments from the diabetic nurse were we'll review you in Dec and, 'try to make some lifestyle changes')

So tomorrow I shall stock up on my carb allowance, sort out were my 500 calories will be coming from and Wednesday I will begin and of course I'll keep you posted

Gilly

WhitbyJet

I strongly believe that fasting is beneficial to good health. The year 2005 was a bad one for me healthwise, it was when following years of badly controlled diabetes things finally came to a head, I suffered - apart from other complications - electrolyte imbalance, kidney function deteriorated stage 3 - 4, I was on temporary dialysis and spent 8 days in the ICU.

A naturopath friend and doctor urged to really cut out carbs as much as possible, helped me to devise a eating plan to keep protein, calcium and potassium intake low, I needed to do this at the time. He also advised to do a 24 hour fast twice a week.
My hospital consultants were horrified, they told my husband that nobody in my condition should be doing any fasting, apparently its only for healthy, cranky people and Yogis!!

At the time I was fed up to the hilt with doctors conventional advice, for years I asked for help to lower my bg levels, bp and cholesterol, I was prescribed medication, Metformin, Avandia (!!) and Gliclazide, maximum doses, 4 different bp meds, one of them was Irbesartan which raised potassium to danger level, Furosemide, antiemetics, Omeprazole, sleeping pills and anti-depressants, nothing worked to help me feel healthy, the opposite in fact.

I had nothing to lose, I tried the naturopath approach, I cut the carbs immediately, surprise, surprise my bg levels dropped almost instantly, within a week I showed single figures, I was eating sparsely, still in hospital, it was difficult to dodge the carbs, I wanted the fasting day, so had to pretend that I was off my food, when really I was quite hungry, liquids still restricted, I fasted two days, somehow I felt confident, empowered doing so, the consultant smiled said kidney function is improving.

Medication was reviewed, Metformin taken off me, it caused lactic acidosis, mustnt be taken by people with reduced kidney function, so only Gliclazide and Avandia, maximum dose, bp meds changed but not reduced, still on diuretics, Omeprazole and antiemetics but stopped sleeping pills and antidepressants.

At home I started low carb with a vengeance, my ever so supportive husband joined me fasting every Friday and Saturday, a vegetable broth fast, drinking home made ginger and lemon tea.
Kidney function improved to level 3A, remained stable at this level for 2 years, I continued with the new regime, still fasting but only one 24hr period a week.

My health continued to improve, over the years I have been able to reduce and finally do away with all prescribed medication, every single one of them (<<under medical supervision!!)
Best of all, much to the amazement of my nephrologist, kidney function is at level 2 and stable, whether it can improve any further or not, I have no idea, but I am convinced that the fasting has helped, I still do a 24hr fast every week, it helps me clear the mind and makes me feel fresher.

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Just want to say thanks for taking the time and making the effort to post your story. You sound amazing.
Thanks
Cath N

ninasings

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals, Ignorant behaviour, Misogynists
Yes watched it...seeing GP on Friday...hope to get his approval although may have to wait til see Endo in Sept.
I'm utterly sick of the eating every 3-4 hours to balance out the Insulin etc etc.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am WELL UP for trying intermittent fasting. Lemme know if anyone is gonna give it a go, and we can start a club/thread... :thumbup:

WJ said:
I still do a 24hr fast every week, it helps me clear the mind and makes me feel fresher.

Leader of the gang? :wink:

Defren

Patch said:
I am WELL UP for trying intermittent fasting. Lemme know if anyone is gonna give it a go, and we can start a club/thread... :thumbup:

WJ said:
I still do a 24hr fast every week, it helps me clear the mind and makes me feel fresher.

Leader of the gang? :wink:

I'm going to do it Patch. I realise it has to be a life long thing, but for a longer, healthier and mentally strong old age, it's a no brainer for me.

I am going to do probably Wednesdays and Thursdays. I don't want to do weekends when everyone is home, and we are doing family stuff. I have some shakes here, so might give it a go this week, so do shakes Tomorrow and Thursday, just to get an idea of what it's like, then start properly the first week in September.

I think Viv is up for it as well. We can be the slimmer winners :lol: :lol:

[edit to add] I have worked out a days nutrition based on 2 Atkins shakes and a slim and save shake per fasting day:

467 Calories
19 Carbs
13 Fibre
47 Protein
16 Sugar
21 Fat

That should do it!! :crazy: :lol:

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jo

Could you tell me if the shakes you have referred to are sweetened with sweeteners? I expect they are and straightaway that rules them out for me because of the ibs :(

Judith x

SouthernGeneral6512

I found it incredible that fasting causes the brain to make new cells ... suppose it does make sense that extra intelligence will tend to make a hungry animal into a less hungry one 8)

Ashleigh

I'm going to do this, i think a wednesday and a friday would be best for me as i don't run on those days. i think I'll start next week, hopefully my chia seeds will have arrived by then.

one thing though, is it ok to have three shakes a day, as on the program they had their 600cals in one meal?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I think your right Ash, Its the stomach being empty that does it. There is a doc on you tube that explains the process. Eg 16 hr fast, 8 hr eating window, well he explains it better than me.

Ashleigh

I'll make up some kind of breakfast out of yoghurt, seeds, a few nuts - whatever i can bulk it out with for the 600cals and then have a teaspoon of chia seeds & loads of water throughout the day and see how it goes.

this is odd that its good for diabetics as i would have thought that not eating all day would be bad for your blood sugar.