Eat the rainbow!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
People sometimes get stuck with veg and fruit, here is a list from the rainbow, there is something low/medium carb there in every group.
Healthy reasons to eat a rainbow of colorful fruits and vegetables
Red fruits and vegetables are colored by natural plant pigments called "lycopene" or "anthocyanins." Lycopene in tomatoes, watermelon and pink grapefruit, for example, may help reduce risk of several types of cancer, especially prostate cancer. Lycopene in foods containing cooked tomatoes, such as spaghetti sauce, and a small amount of fat are absorbed better than lycopene from raw tomatoes.

Anthocyanins in strawberries, raspberries, red grapes and other fruits and vegetables act as powerful antioxidants that protect cells from damage. Antioxidants are linked with keeping our hearts healthy, too.

These are some examples of the red group:

Red apples
Beets
Red cabbage
Cherries
Cranberries
Pink grapefruit
Red grapes
Red peppers
Pomegranates
Red potatoes
Radishes
Raspberries
Rhubarb
Strawberries
Tomatoes
Watermelon

Orange/yellow fruits and vegetables are usually colored by natural plant pigments called "carotenoids." Beta-carotene in sweet potatoes, pumpkins and carrots is converted to vitamin A, which helps maintain healthy mucous membranes and healthy eyes. Scientists have also reported that carotenoid-rich foods can help reduce risk of cancer, heart disease and can improve immune system function.

One study found that people who ate a diet high in carotenoid-rich vegetables were 43 percent less likely to develop age-related macular degeneration, an eye disorder common among the elderly, which can lead to blindness.

Carotenoids also may be good for your heart. One study found that men with high cholesterol who ate plenty of vegetables high in carotenoids had a 36 percent lower chance of heart attack and death than their counterparts who shunned vegetables.

Citrus fruits like oranges are not a good source of vitamin A. They are an excellent source of vitamin C and folate, a B vitamin that helps reduce risk of birth defects and helps keep our hearts healthy.

Some examples of the orange/yellow group include:

Yellow apples
Apricots
Butternut squash
Cantaloupe
Carrots
Grapefruit
Lemons
Mangoes
Nectarines
Oranges
Papayas
Peaches
Pears
Yellow peppers
Persimmons
Pineapple
Pumpkin
Rutabagas
Yellow summer or winter squash
Sweet corn
Sweet potatoes
Tangerines
Yellow tomatoes
Yellow watermelon
Green fruits and vegetables are colored by natural plant pigment called "chlorophyll." Some members of the green group, including spinach and other dark leafy greens, green peppers, peas, cucumber and celery, contain lutein. Lutein works with another chemical, zeaxanthin, found in corn, red peppers, oranges, grapes and egg yolks to help keep eyes healthy. Together, these chemicals may help reduce risk of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration, which can lead to blindness if untreated.

The "indoles" in broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and other cruciferous vegetables may help protect against some types of cancer. Leafy greens like spinach and broccoli are also excellent sources of folate, a B vitamin that helps reduce risk of birth defects and helps keep our hearts healthy.

Some examples of the green group include:

Green apples
Artichokes
Asparagus
Avocados
Green beans
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Green cabbage
Cucumbers
Green grapes
Honeydew melon
Kiwi
Lettuce
Limes
Green onions
Peas
Green pepper
Spinach
Zucchini
Blue/purple fruits and vegetables are colored by natural plant pigments called "anthocyanins." Anthocyanins in blueberries, grapes and raisins act as powerful antioxidants that protect cells from damage. They may help reduce risk of cancer, stroke and heart disease. Other studies have shown that eating more blueberries is linked with improved memory function and healthy aging.

These are some examples of the blue/purple group:

Blackberries
Blueberries
Eggplant
Figs
Juneberries
Plums
Prunes
Purple grapes
Raisins
Red cabbage
White fruits and vegetables are colored by pigments called "anthoxanthins." They may contain health-promoting chemicals such as allicin, which may help lower cholesterol and blood pressure and may help reduce risk of stomach cancer and heart disease. Some members of the white group, like bananas and potatoes, are good sources of the mineral potassium, too.

Some examples of the white group include:

Bananas
Cauliflower
Garlic
Ginger
Jicama
Mushrooms
Onions
Parsnips
Potatoes
Turnips

Trinkwasser

Then there's Astaxanthin, found in prawns and salmon (and probably flamingos) which is responsible for the pink colour

Big Thanks for stickying this post

Jasmin

Hi Im trying to lower my reading by using food, Ive started to cut down on carbs and recording all I eat and the readings are encouraging at first. Before this I only had to check my blood sugar once a week as my blood is checked each time I go for a check-up for Myeloma at hospital. I thought I would just like to see if there were any changes throughout the day, now Im scared the first reading I took was on the 25th June after dinner the reading was 19.3 2hrs later it came down to 16.1 It was this reading made me decide to try less carbs. My readings are now on the 26th.11.4 before lunch and 7.3 after. on the 27th after lunch 7.0 after dinner13.5 before bed 8.6. and today 28th they are 17.5 before lunch 12.1 after. what is going on? I assumed my readings would change a bit throughout the day but not as much ,I have small portions and eat lettace and tomatoe and a tiny dish of beetroot with quiche , 2 shredded Wheat for breakfast, skimmed milk, and asugar free jelly. Jve recorded some reciepies from the forum to try and so far havent had time. Regards Jas

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Jasmin.

As a T2 your 2009 NICE guideline Bg levels should be as follows:

Fasting (waking)...............between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after meals .............no more than 8.5 mmol/l.

If you can get them lower so much the better.

As you can see your Bg levels are not good. It may well be the rest of your diet is not good.
Way too high. I think you need to discuss these high readings with your GP, especially as you have other complications.

As you have found testing has started to give you the real picture which random tests do not !

Ken.

samcogle

Have to say both quiche and any form of cereal triple my BS levels. Are you able to try to eat protein for breakfast? Cottage cheese, cinammon and an apple is really nice and this is from the person who used to gag if I so much as lookaed at a tub of it :lol:

GINNYFLY

Thanks for such a useful post. I found it so interesting that I have saved it in my diet folder. I have always liked making multi coloured salads and use
borage flowers - blue
sage flowers - lilac
Pot marigold petals (orange/red)
and nasturtium flowers in nearly all the colours of the rainbow.

I add various leaves like
different coloured lettuce leaves
nasturtium leaves
variagated mints and gold oregano
silver thyme

I serve a separate salad of chopped beetroot,sliced tomatoes small cubes of red green and orange peppers with slivers of red onions. I have always thought my salads looked so pretty - now I know they are doing me good.
I had to smile at the mention of carrots helping your vision! My granny told me back in the 1940s - that carrots would help me see in the dark :)
Thanks sugerless sue

Dippy3103

I love the idea of a rainbow diet. All that fresh salad seems so appetising
especially after the heavy Christmas food.
Thank you Sue, fab post.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Eat the rainbow.........................................well I suppose it's better than chasing them! :(

Nigel

Bertie

This will certainly help to keep food/meals interesting, especially during the grey days!

Thank you for posting this - it does make you think of all the colourful creations that could be concocted.

sparkles

Have to say sugarless sue I loved this post! very informative and inspires colourful creative meals... Thank you!
SPARKLES

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We learned this in school, back in the 60's.

No beige in the rainbow, dont' eat beige!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Fruit for diabetes depends on carbohydrate content - get yourself a carb counter book and research it for yourself.

Grapes and bananas are high carb, berry fruits are the lowest. Again, it depends on the individual and on the type of diabetes - some can eat a small banana, some can't.

Viv 8)

alliebee

what a brillliant thread!!!!

Thankyou, so very informative, well done for taking the trouble to post it :D
Im sure lots of people will find it as interesting as I did.... Wnderfull :D

sarahyoung75

sugarless sue said:
People sometimes get stuck with veg and fruit, here is a list from the rainbow, there is something low/medium carb there in every group.
Healthy reasons to eat a rainbow of colorful fruits and vegetables
Red fruits and vegetables are colored by natural plant pigments called "lycopene" or "anthocyanins." Lycopene in tomatoes, watermelon and pink grapefruit, for example, may help reduce risk of several types of cancer, especially prostate cancer. Lycopene in foods containing cooked tomatoes, such as spaghetti sauce, and a small amount of fat are absorbed better than lycopene from raw tomatoes.

Anthocyanins in strawberries, raspberries, red grapes and other fruits and vegetables act as powerful antioxidants that protect cells from damage. Antioxidants are linked with keeping our hearts healthy, too.

These are some examples of the red group:

Red apples
Beets
Red cabbage
Cherries
Cranberries
Pink grapefruit
Red grapes
Red peppers
Pomegranates
Red potatoes
Radishes
Raspberries
Rhubarb
Strawberries
Tomatoes
Watermelon

Orange/yellow fruits and vegetables are usually colored by natural plant pigments called "carotenoids." Beta-carotene in sweet potatoes, pumpkins and carrots is converted to vitamin A, which helps maintain healthy mucous membranes and healthy eyes. Scientists have also reported that carotenoid-rich foods can help reduce risk of cancer, heart disease and can improve immune system function.

One study found that people who ate a diet high in carotenoid-rich vegetables were 43 percent less likely to develop age-related macular degeneration, an eye disorder common among the elderly, which can lead to blindness.

Carotenoids also may be good for your heart. One study found that men with high cholesterol who ate plenty of vegetables high in carotenoids had a 36 percent lower chance of heart attack and death than their counterparts who shunned vegetables.

Citrus fruits like oranges are not a good source of vitamin A. They are an excellent source of vitamin C and folate, a B vitamin that helps reduce risk of birth defects and helps keep our hearts healthy.

Some examples of the orange/yellow group include:

Yellow apples
Apricots
Butternut squash
Cantaloupe
Carrots
Grapefruit
Lemons
Mangoes
Nectarines
Oranges
Papayas
Peaches
Pears
Yellow peppers
Persimmons
Pineapple
Pumpkin
Rutabagas
Yellow summer or winter squash
Sweet corn
Sweet potatoes
Tangerines
Yellow tomatoes
Yellow watermelon
Green fruits and vegetables are colored by natural plant pigment called "chlorophyll." Some members of the green group, including spinach and other dark leafy greens, green peppers, peas, cucumber and celery, contain lutein. Lutein works with another chemical, zeaxanthin, found in corn, red peppers, oranges, grapes and egg yolks to help keep eyes healthy. Together, these chemicals may help reduce risk of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration, which can lead to blindness if untreated.

The "indoles" in broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and other cruciferous vegetables may help protect against some types of cancer. Leafy greens like spinach and broccoli are also excellent sources of folate, a B vitamin that helps reduce risk of birth defects and helps keep our hearts healthy.

Some examples of the green group include:

Green apples
Artichokes
Asparagus
Avocados
Green beans
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Green cabbage
Cucumbers
Green grapes
Honeydew melon
Kiwi
Lettuce
Limes
Green onions
Peas
Green pepper
Spinach
Zucchini
Blue/purple fruits and vegetables are colored by natural plant pigments called "anthocyanins." Anthocyanins in blueberries, grapes and raisins act as powerful antioxidants that protect cells from damage. They may help reduce risk of cancer, stroke and heart disease. Other studies have shown that eating more blueberries is linked with improved memory function and healthy aging.

These are some examples of the blue/purple group:

Blackberries
Blueberries
Eggplant
Figs
Juneberries
Plums
Prunes
Purple grapes
Raisins
Red cabbage
White fruits and vegetables are colored by pigments called "anthoxanthins." They may contain health-promoting chemicals such as allicin, which may help lower cholesterol and blood pressure and may help reduce risk of stomach cancer and heart disease. Some members of the white group, like bananas and potatoes, are good sources of the mineral potassium, too.

Some examples of the white group include:

Bananas
Cauliflower
Garlic
Ginger
Jicama
Mushrooms
Onions
Parsnips
Potatoes
Turnips

Very nice informative post.Thanks for giving the best list of nutritional food information.

irishlass37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
ummm grapes and bananas are high carb, okayyyyyyyyyyyy cos my doc recommended I use them as my snacks???

Oh hell whats a good book to buy on high carbs and low carbs please

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I'm beginning to think my diagnosis has done me a favour. It's made me eat instinctively and for some reason it's made it EASIER for me to cut out the foods that I KNOW do me no good. As a result I'm eating so much better, more cheaply, needing less quantities and amazingly, I've taken a shine to strawberries after snubbing them for years for no good reason. Now I have them every day with single cream. Also the lack of wheat in my diet seems to be having an effect too, my breathing has been improving and so has my gastritis.

I love colourful foods and my mouth waters when I look at them. Now I'm noticing that if I look at cooked rice, bread, cakes etc I get a fleeting "Mmmm ..." quickly followed by a definite "Eeeewwww I feel sick ..." feeling.

Anyone else noticed this effect since being diagnosed or starting on Metformin? Or is it just me? :)

vyk1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I just ask, kind of recipe related. I'm really trying to get my t1 under control by eating a healthier diet of sorts. When I look to buy a yoghurt, I'm looking at low or 0% fat, but the sugar is major. What is the best thing to buy. I do not include natural/live yoghurt in this question by the way. Any help would be gratefully received. Cheers. X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App