Eating at Regular Times

Rosiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
5 days in. How strict do I need to be on meal times. Also can I eat Werthers sugar free

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was T2 I found regular meal times helped and spaced 4 hours apart if I needed a snack a small fat snack was ok. It is best to put 4 hours between carbs as well as protein to allow bs and insulin to come back down.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may help your glucose levels to spread your carbohydrates out particularly if you're not eating a particularly low carbohydrate diet. I tried to do this initially because this was the advice given by my diabetes nurse. But now I tend to eat or not according to how hungry I may or not feel on the day - so either no or irregular meals. The only regular meal I have is my evening one which can be any time between 7pm and 8.30pm - whenever my husband cooks it. However I now eat a very low carb high(er) fat diet and so the few carbs I now have tend to have much less impact on my levels.

I think you'll probably need to find your own way and use a meter to see what (if any) impact different meal times may have on your glucose levels.

If you want to eat sweets labelled as "sugar free" or "diabetic", you need to look at the nutritional information to see if you feel they're acceptable. In general be very careful over all such sugar free offerings (all food that would normally have sugar as an ingredient) as often sugar alcohols/polyols are used as alternative sweeteners, and these can - usually in quantity - have nasty side effects, i.e. bloating, gas, wind, and the "runs". Some of these products may now have warning about this side effect. However, if they contain stevia, erythritol, or xylitol, these sugar alternatives are quite safe for diabetic use, and shouldn't have any affect on your glucose levels.

Robbity

Rosiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It may help your glucose levels to spread your carbohydrates out particularly if you're not eating a particularly low carbohydrate diet. I tried to do this initially because this was the advice given by my diabetes nurse. But now I tend to eat or not according to how hungry I may or not feel on the day - so either no or irregular meals. The only regular meal I have is my evening one which can be any time between 7pm and 8.30pm - whenever my husband cooks it. However I now eat a very low carb high(er) fat diet and so the few carbs I now have tend to have much less impact on my levels.

I think you'll probably need to find your own way and use a meter to see what (if any) impact different meal times may have on your glucose levels.

If you want to eat sweets labelled as "sugar free" or "diabetic", you need to look at the nutritional information to see if you feel they're acceptable. In general be very careful over all such sugar free offerings (all food that would normally have sugar as an ingredient) as often sugar alcohols/polyols are used as alternative sweeteners, and these can - usually in quantity - have nasty side effects, i.e. bloating, gas, wind, and the "runs". Some of these products may now have warning about this side effect. However, if they contain stevia, erythritol, or xylitol, these sugar alternatives are quite safe for diabetic use, and shouldn't have any affect on your glucose levels.

Robbity
Thank you