Eating out?

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
We'd like to go out for lunch but I'm struggling to find places that publish all the carb details. Beefeater seems to, does anyone know of anywhere else?
My hubby fancied Chiquitos but they don't have any info available. It needs to be somewhere with something for the kids too.what do you guys do? Thanks x

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I believe The Harvester do as well but if not you can make a pretty good estimate using general info from Carbs & Cals or similar.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yeah Carbs & Cals is a good visual guide. I would just guesstimate and enjoy the meal out, if I'm not sure I always throw caution to the wind and give a reduced dose rather than go hypo and spoil the occasion, if you do spike afterwards you can always give a correction dose when you get back home.

Hope you have a good lunch Donna:)

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wetherspoons have a full nutritional guide online, seems pretty accurate when I've used it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
McDonalds do; full info. You can always ask as most places have a book behind the counter

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
There is actually an app called "fast foods" or similar. It gives carb content of lot's of popular restaurants in the UK, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Harvester etc ! Not high end food lol but may be useful for some.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
At best even with an app freshly cooked food will always be a rough estimate. I know when we eat at a local pub chain the portion size can vary depending on who's cooking in the kitchen, sometimes you'll get more chips, pots, pasta or rice and sometimes less, items like burgers from fast food chains are more accurate as the size of the roll and fillings rarely change.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Life with diabetes is just big approximation unfortunately lol ! Just don't be afraid to eat out and enjoy yourself !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys. That's really helpful. I don't have carbs and cals, I've been going by packaging. X

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
We go to a local pub quite often, l let Andy order first then mangle their nice set out menu item l have chosen. They are great about it. l don't know carb content but just eat sensibly and figure if l am worried l can do exercise to bring BG down after l have got home an hour or so later. So long as they keep me supplied with their horseradish sauce and never run out of it...... and if anyone ever says it is high carb l DONT CARE!

l don't take c & c with me never look at food sizes anyhow just info.

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
just been to the Beck in mablethorpe, had their carvery meal £3.99, freshly cooked roast beef, horseradish sauce ,fresh steamed cabbage, steamed onions and cheese, NO,roast spuds, new spuds, giant yorky, peas ,,carrots or gravy, (like my other three quarters had.lol).

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Watch for a "mahoosive" queue outside there of LC diabetics now!<VBG>

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks guys. That's really helpful. I don't have carbs and cals, I've been going by packaging. X

It's definitely worth purchasing Donna.

just been to the Beck in mablethorpe, had their carvery meal £3.99, freshly cooked roast beef, horseradish sauce ,fresh steamed cabbage, steamed onions and cheese, NO,roast spuds, new spuds, giant yorky, peas ,,carrots or gravy, (like my other three quarters had.lol).

That is good value for a carvery:)

Reactions: 3 people

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow that's amazing for a carvery. We've got a Toby near here but my little one is not that keen on roast, strange child :)
We still haven't decided where to go! Thanks guys, feeling a bit more confident about it now. X

Sheppie84

I went to chiquitos a couple of weeks ago and asked in store for the nutritional information and the staff were lovely. It is available online apparently but they helped me choose a suitable meal for my daughter who has a dairy allergy and they gave me the carb info on my meal.
Maybe call them before you go and explain your situation but they were brilliant with me and my daughter.
Hope this helps.
Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooh thanks for that. We're going to the cinema first and it's right next door, so I could pop in first. Of course, Nando is the other side..;)