Eating Pulses

Cheryl

Does anyone out there eat pulses?

If so, over how long do you extend that element of your bolus?

I eat lentil & cheese bake & also mixed pulses in veggie chilli usually & can never seem to get my bolus right. My BG is usually OK a few hours after the meal, but then high the next morning. I guess that I'm just not extending the bolus over a long enough period, but am not sure how far to go: 4 hours, 5, 6?

I use a multiwave/combo bolus, extending the bit covering the pulse carbs by an ever increasing amount (3 hours last time).

I could carry on experimenting, but wondered if anyone else has a tried & tested way of dealing with pulses on the pump.

jopar

A lot depends on the actual carb count of the meal and individual adsorption so it's a case of experimenting to find out what suits you best..

For me pasta bakes I used an multi with an second wave of 2 hours which keeps in line. But I don't have a large meal at all, total for this will be 30g of carbs..

Pulses I do have to cut the carb count in half otherwise I end up hypo..

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
Hi,

I think it's got something to do with pulses being a low GI food so the fibre stays longer in your body.

Regarding your blood sugars and the pump I'm sorry I could not advise on this as I am not on a pump yet (due to start pumping in a few weeks). I eat a lot of pulses and I have found that I need to increase my bedtime Lantus dose which keeps my morning blood sugar between 4 and 6 mmol, so as a suggestion prehaps you may need to tinker with your basel insulin but again be careful and I'm no expert.

Good luck with this