eating the right food

perrywinkle

Hi I am newly diagnosed type 2 on diet only at the moment.
Still trying to come to terms with things, although lost 6lbs in weight in three weeks. Looking at labels most things that are low sugar are higher in fat, and it difficult to decide which is more important.
Any advice on what I can eat for lunch at work would be appreciated, its getting cold now and salad isnt so good, I dont like pasta, and find sandwiches boring, so would welcome any suggestions.
My Hba1c last week was 6.5 which I understand is good, although glucose tolerance test started at this but bloods two hours later went up to 12.5.

anniep

I always steer well clear of anything that says low fat, as this usually means high sugar and sugar is what we diabetics have to avoid.

It is not just the obvious sugar either but the things that become sugar in your body like the starchy carbs of bread, pasta, rice and potatoes.

Have you read the advice for the newly diagnosed? I it is worth a read, and explains things much better than I can.

As for lunches, do you have access to a microwave, home made soups are filling and nutricious and meat and cheese are low carb, just leave the bread out of it.

jaykay

Omelettes are my saviour for lunch ( but I do go home so I have my cooker ). Eggs and anything seem to go so nicely and are really quick. AND my son can cook them, so if I'm feeling lazy, I wail at him and he makes me a nice cheese and tomato one :D

C

catherinecherub

I make large quantities of homemade soups and freeze in individual portions. Take from the freezer the night before, warm up in the microwave and then decant into a thermos flask.

perrywinkle

Re: eating the right food & sweating

Thanks everyone for your responses. Unfortunately I dont have access to a microwave at work and therefore warming soup or something similar is out of the question. I'm limited to sandwiches really but running out of ideas!
Been to clinic today and enquired about sweating as at night I have dreadful sweats. Nurse says its not related to the Diabetes, but Im sure it must be either to low or high BS.
Any advice please

Dollyrocker

Hello, how abot a thermos for soup? A decent one would keep it hot for hours! Salads are also hood, get experimental and make your own perhaps?