Effect of Cinnamon in lowering cholesterol and blood sugar

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have read a few journals which say cinnamon has lot of potential in getting blood sugars down and even blood cholesterol. anyone who has experienced themselves and how.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is no conclusive scientific evidence to back this up. The Chinese did a study on it some years ago and the results were inconclusive.

There has been a recent study on 30 subjects using cinnamon, and the claims being made are somewhat fantastic. It is claimed that an 18-29% drop in fasting level was seen after only 40 days, which is a better result than ANY current diabetes medication apart from insulin. So I am somewhat sceptical about this study.
https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/26/12/3215

Most of this report is waffle about diabetes with very little covering the trial itself, so it seems the author has another agenda to fulfil. I would suggest this is a typical undergraduate submission for a qualification. They did not provide lab assayed test results such as HbA1c to confirm a proper effect on a formal basis.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have experienced using cinnamon myself, but no substantial or repeatable results, Had better results out of a nightly shot of whiskey!. I cannot recommend either as a treatment for this disease. Also, read the Testimonials thread on this forum to see if anyone is actually reporting success with this supplement since if it was this effective in real life, then people should be queuing up to shout Hooray.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a quick aside, if you are going to try it, make sure you use true cinnamon rather than cassia (which is what is usually sold as the spice cinnamon) as in high quantities it can be toxic

Reactions: oldgreymare

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I came across this study on oral supplementation of cinnamon
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5469078/
Read the list of enrollment that excluded people with thyroid issues, DIABETICS, or anyone on diabetic treatment, anyone on lipid reduction medication (statins), and kidney disease

"....hypothyroidism/ hyperthyroidism were excluded. Subjects suffering from other chronic diseases and metabolic complications such as CVD, diabetes, renal disease, myocardial infarction and other endocrinal disorders, any debilitating disease such as tuberculosis, HIV etc. or those on medication of lipid lowering or hypoglycemic drugs were also excluded."

I think that this list of exclusions would apply to many reading this thread.

OCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I often have almond milk with a tsp of cinnamon and turmeric before bed and I do seem to get lower fbg readings in the morning when I do. Haven't studied it properly though it could be just coincidence/the almond milk... I don't think it would hurt to try it?

Reactions: jonesmia