1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Effect of high temparature on BS

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Kaha, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Kaha

Kaha Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can anybody tell me whether there exist any effect of high temperature (above 40C) on BS level? Such hot atmosphere require you to drink a lot of fluid .

2. jay hay-char

jay hay-char Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When I am ill, it always seems to increase my B/S a bit - and a Doctor of my acquaintance who also happens to be diabetic, tells me that it's a common phenomenon.

3. June_C

June_C Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

It's not clear if you're referring to your own temp or air temp.

4. Lazybones

Lazybones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Becoming dehydrated as a result of living in a hot climate does result in an increase in their blood glucose level principally due to the reduce quantity of the blood that now flows throughout their body.
    As you rightly say, the answer is to consume adequate fluids, ideally pure water to compensate for the loss.
    Similarly when a diabetic individual is ill, their body in fighting their illness can also give rise to an increase in their body temperature and hence cause a milder form of de-hydration, and as with living in a hot tropical climate, it also is important when the individual is ill to consume adequate fluids.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jay hay-char

jay hay-char Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ooops; think I misunderstood the question........ :)

6. Kaha

Kaha Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks Lazybones, you made a very good point to note. I had been experiencing abnormal BS now a days since I moved to a very hot climate.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook