Effects of a low carbohydrate diet on energy expenditure during weight loss maintenance-BMJ 14/11/18

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
https://www.bmj.com/content/363/bmj.k4583
According to the British Medical Journal in a randomized study published today, finds amongst other things that -

Conclusions and policy implications

Dietary composition seems to affect energy expenditure independently of body weight. A low glycaemic load, high fat diet might facilitate weight loss maintenance beyond the conventional focus on restricting energy intake and encouraging physical activity. Additional research is warranted to examine the effects of glycaemic load on body weight, with control of energy intake; to compare diets aiming to reduce glycaemic index at prevailing carbohydrate levels (eg, the DIETFITS lower fat diet) compared with restricting total carbohydrate; to explore subgroup susceptibility based on insulin secretion and other biological factors; to determine whether extreme carbohydrate restriction (eg, with a ketogenic diet) confers unique advantages for obesity or specific conditions such as diabetes; and to explore the mechanisms relating dietary composition to energy expenditure. If metabolic benefits of reduced glycaemic load diets are confirmed, development of appropriate behavioural and environmental interventions would be necessary for optimal translation to public health."

This made for a very interesting read.
Hopefully the advocates of the Eatwell plate, will eventually come on board.

Reactions: Guzzler

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I think the Eatwell platers like similar adherents to such dogma throughout various countries and nations started off on a juggernaut bolstered by Big Food.
Some times the only way forward is to let these shrinking and uncompromising juggernauts float off to the mythical land called Big Foodia.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
A whole (long winded) paragraph to say 'Oi! That there CICO doesn't seem to be working, should we look at Low GI? Mebbe there's summat in this Low Carb malarkey, after all?' The pulling of teeth springs to mind.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A whole (long winded) paragraph to say 'Oi! That there CICO doesn't seem to be working, should we look at Low GI? Mebbe there's summat in this Low Carb malarkey, after all?' The pulling of teeth springs to mind.
I noticed that too :bored: I guess they have to be careful how they challenge orthodoxy.
We have a diagnosis of T2DM as a very strong incentive to explore the efficacy of the Low Carb WOE
The ferocity with which orthodoxy goes after anybody in the healthcare field who tries to buck the CICO /HiCarb-Lofat-loCal WOE as a way to correct any metabolic malfunction is terrifying.
Tim Noakes, Dr Malhorta(sp?), Gary Fettke, Jennifer Elliott,(Australian dietician) all risked their reputation and incurred the ire of their professional associations, just for the mere fact that they strayed from the time worn, ineffective, low fat, high carb dogma.

Shem S

I saw my GP this morning; first appointment since diagnosis. “Just get rid of your weight and then you won’t need any medication” he said. “Follow my diet: stop eating breakfast; stop eating lunch; eat one meal in the evening” #FatShamed

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I noticed that too :bored: I guess they have to be careful how they challenge orthodoxy.
We have a diagnosis of T2DM as a very strong incentive to explore the efficacy of the Low Carb WOE
The ferocity with which orthodoxy goes after anybody in the healthcare field who tries to buck the CICO /HiCarb-Lofat-loCal WOE as a way to correct any metabolic malfunction is terrifying.
Tim Noakes, Dr Malhorta(sp?), Gary Fettke, Jennifer Elliott,(Australian dietician) all risked their reputation and incurred the ire of their professional associations, just for the mere fact that they strayed from the time worn, ineffective, low fat, high carb dogma.

Aye but... one minute Dr. Unwin is getting a well deserved award for his sterling work in improving outcomes for patients and saving the NHS money, DCUK received awards, too and the next minute Dr. Malhotra is being called a scaremongerer. This is why I think Moseley plays it safe, he doesnt 'rock the boat'.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I saw my GP this morning; first appointment since diagnosis. “Just get rid of your weight and then you won’t need any medication” he said. “Follow my diet: stop eating breakfast; stop eating lunch; eat one meal in the evening” #FatShamed

Is your doctor lean by any chance?

I was not carrying excess weight but still developed T2 #WeightGainIsaSymptom

Reactions: Shem S

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Shows how little your GP knows or understands about this condition.
I would see that statement as a leading indicator, of the fact that you may have to rely on your own education, and research if you are to influence outcome in your fight against T2DM and its complications.
I have never bothered to listen to my GP or the practice once I knew where to seek, and find effective, safe, efficacious, information about this condition.
To them I am just a number. To me, this is the fight of my life, the most important thing I will ever do to guarantee my health and any descent quality of life going forward. I prioritised it as such and It has been worth it.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Aye but... one minute Dr. Unwin is getting a well deserved award for his sterling work in improving outcomes for patients and saving the NHS money, DCUK received awards, too and the next minute Dr. Malhotra is being called a scaremongerer. This is why I think Moseley plays it safe, he doesnt 'rock the boat'.
Dr Malhotra stepped on the toes of big pharma.
The small gods of big bucks have power, and he was impinging on their ability to roll out cholesterol meds, based on dodgy science and scare us all into swallowing their pills unquestioningly.
For that, he needed to be stopped in his tracks, not only to teach him a lesson, but to deter others with similar ideas:jimlad:.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes. We had a member who was told that by her diabetes clinic consultant.

So she went away and dieted and dieted until her son told her she looked like a concentration camp survivor.
And guess what? Her next appointment with the consultant he told her she had lost too much weight, and still needed the medication. I think his comment was basically that not everyone can get off the meds.

I won't name the member, but if they see this, maybe they can log in and comment on the story since then... personally, I would have been furious.

Shem S

Is your doctor lean by any chance?

I was not carrying excess weight but still developed T2 #WeightGainIsaSymptom

Of course and felt qualified to say it because he was fat as a teenager and stopped eating. Used other patients who follow his advice as evidence it works, seemingly one patient has lost 9.5 stone in 12 months. He was also annoyed that the DN had given me a BG monitor.

Shem S

Shows how little your GP knows or understands about this condition.
I would see that statement as a leading indicator, of the fact that you may have to rely on your own education, and research if you are to influence outcome in your fight against T2DM and its complications.
I have never bothered to listen to my GP or the practice once I knew where to seek, and find effective, safe, efficacious, information about this condition.
To them I am just a number. To me, this is the fight of my life, the most important thing I will ever do to guarantee my health and any descent quality of life going forward. I prioritised it as such and It has been worth it.

He’s normally a good GP and means well, but I couldn’t function or do my job on 1 meal/day.

So far the advice I’ve been getting from the forum has been far more thoughtful and effective.

I’m sticking with you guys

Shem S

Yes. We had a member who was told that by her diabetes clinic consultant.

So she went away and dieted and dieted until her son told her she looked like a concentration camp survivor.
And guess what? Her next appointment with the consultant he told her she had lost too much weight, and still needed the medication. I think his comment was basically that not everyone can get off the meds.

I won't name the member, but if they see this, maybe they can log in and comment on the story since then... personally, I would have been furious.

I just burst into tears

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Of course and felt qualified to say it because he was fat as a teenager and stopped eating. Used other patients who follow his advice as evidence it works, seemingly one patient has lost 9.5 stone in 12 months. He was also annoyed that the DN had given me a BG monitor.

Of course that would be because one diet fits all. Sounds like a supercilious twerp to me. What does he think the affect of having a meter will have on you, is he afraid you're going to wire it up to the lecky?
I am irritated on your behalf!