Egg Nog Boo Boo

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
The wife went out Saturday night on Hen party, so not wanting to be left out. I was pondering what tipple I may partake of in her absence? Then I got the Idea of Egg Nog, now I usually make up a few batches at Christmas it's one of my little speciality's when folk come and visit, they always get one rammed in there hand when they arrive.
Off I went to the shop to purchase the alcohol required to make the potent concoction, 1/4 bottle of Rum, and 1/4 of Brandy :D that's why most like it. I then preceded with the making, 6 egg whites, 6 egg yolks, 1 cup of sugar, 2 cups of whole milk, 1 cup of cream and said Alcohol, I wont bore you with method. The wife had left by the time I had finished and with my Egg Nog meal complete with Booze, I sat merrily !! drinking my batch of truly heavenly elixir.
It was not until the next morning, She said did you use the splender I left out for you? oh yes I replied the one in blue tub, NO the one in the yellow tub, eh! yellow? where you wearing your glasses when you did it? NO Oopps I had made it with plain sugar.
Now the funny thing here was, I checked my BG twice that night and they where the same readings as normal even though I was bombarding my little old body with a mass of sugar, and today I feel as right as rain, went to Bath's as normal BG's all normal? What give's here, was it the eggs and cream that did it? or was it the Alcohol that held them down? next time I will wear my glasses and use the splender sugar.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah yes, next morning. The alcohol stops the liver from providing the morning sugar. I tried to interest my nurse in this method of coping but she was not amused.

Seriously, this fact that the liver is impeded in it's action by alcohol is why non diabetics still get hangovers, so there is some justice in this world.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There have been some questions on this forum by people who have gone hypo after having a binge. Perhaps they have put sugar in theirs.

Seriously though, diabetics have gone hypo since they calculate the effect of the sugar in the drink and the food and do not take account of the liver being switched off while it is dealing with alcohol.

paragliderpete

You were probably better using the plain sugar. If you use splenda powder its 97.7% carb . I found out the hard way. Splenda powder gives me a great big spike. A lot cheaper to use the sugar. Can't fault your way of thinking. I hope you took no prisoners.
Cheers

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
paragliderpete said:
You were probably better using the plain sugar. If you use splenda powder its 97.7% carb . I found out the hard way. Splenda powder gives me a great big spike. A lot cheaper to use the sugar. Can't fault your way of thinking. I hope you took no prisoners.
Cheers
Interesting so you think I was better off with the cane sugar? I will note that, No none where taken, I drank the lot most enjoyable it was, and as mentioned above, not a whiff of a hang over which was more than can be said for the poor wife :lol:

paragliderpete

I don't think better off. But certainly no worse off. It probably tasted a lot better with the cane suger. Why not try making it without the sugar, or one of the Da Vinci sugar free syrups. Not sure which one would work best. Probably caramel.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
paragliderpete said:
I don't think better off. But certainly no worse off. It probably tasted a lot better with the cane suger. Why not try making it without the sugar, or one of the Da Vinci sugar free syrups. Not sure which one would work best. Probably caramel.
Thanks paraglidepete, I just bought some Sweetbird Caramel Coffee Syrup Sugar free and vanilla one, will give it a go I'm sure it will taste nice in Coffee.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
paragliderpete said:
Cheers

Thankfully that is not true.

Sugar has 100g carbs per 100g it is pure sugar.
Splender has 97.7g carbs per 100g so is almost the same as pure sugar.

And spoonful for spoonful Splender is as sweet as sugar.

BUT:

1 level tablespoon of sugar = 5g carbs
1 level tablespoon of Splender = .5g carbs

ie Sugar has 10 X the carbs of Splender.

I just weighed a level spoonful of sugar, it weighed 19g. I tried to weigh a similar amount of Splender but it would not register on my digital scales. This is why Splender is better for diabetics than sugar, a spoonful of Splender in your tea will have zero effects on bg levels.

The reason that bg is repressed when alcohol is drunk is that alcohol is a toxin which is removed from the blood by the liver, when the liver is full of alcohol it stops all other processes (regulating glucose) while it is removing the toxin. 1 unit of alcohol takes around 1 hour to be processed by the liver, ill leave you to work out the maths of removing the alcohol after a night out on the booze.

However alcoholism is NOT a cure for diabetes, although a single glass of red wine has been shown to have some health benefits. As always all things in moderation would seem to be the key.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I seem to be in a dilemma now, as to what is the bad and the good? is it the Alcohol? or the sugar? Being that the above is the healthiest way to consume the Alcohol I can think of, if consumption of Alcohol is ever healthy and giving me the best of all worlds, Protein, fat, and Carb's also limiting bad BG effects. I would not advocate a diet of this stuff :lol: though I don't know tastes pretty good mind. The problem is one glass just never seems to hit the spot. I shall try it with the syrup next time, and might just reduce the Alcohol content to the one 1/4 bottle of essential elixir :D roll on Christmas :thumbup: