Emotional roller coaster

Yaz2009

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Well what can I say guys....All I hear is wow you are so strong if that happened to my child I don't think I could cope!!.what.. of course you cope you have no option but to cope I think from the day my son was diagnosed t 18 months I have just gotten in with it. Never had a chance to sit back and take it all in. I think you morn the child you had previous to the diagnoses, the pain you feel when you look at your child and you want to take all of it away from them and I just break down. I know there are people who are worse off so I appreciate my situation. It's just at times I feel my son's frustration and I wish i could take it away. The look people give you when you say your child is a diabetic... drives me insane did he eat too much sugar? No he flipping well didn't so what does that mean then he can't eat sweets. I just start feeling angry and annoyed and hurt and so so so tired of diabetes. I feel my son's disappointment with his situation I love him I miss him. I miss the happy boy who loved being a child not the one who hates being a diabetic because that hurts... sorry guys I just had to rant.

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Well what can I say guys....All I hear is wow you are so strong if that happened to my child I don't think I could cope!!.what.. of course you cope you have no option but to cope I think from the day my son was diagnosed t 18 months I have just gotten in with it. Never had a chance to sit back and take it all in. I think you morn the child you had previous to the diagnoses, the pain you feel when you look at your child and you want to take all of it away from them and I just break down. I know there are people who are worse off so I appreciate my situation. It's just at times I feel my son's frustration and I wish i could take it away. The look people give you when you say your child is a diabetic... drives me insane did he eat too much sugar? No he flipping well didn't so what does that mean then he can't eat sweets. I just start feeling angry and annoyed and hurt and so so so tired of diabetes. I feel my son's disappointment with his situation I love him I miss him. I miss the happy boy who loved being a child not the one who hates being a diabetic because that hurts... sorry guys I just had to rant.

The apologies are NOT necessary :) Rant all you wish as I'd do EXACTLY the same thing. My best wishes

Mike

Reactions: 4 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
;)
Completely understand.but it is treatable. You will cope. Help is here. Use the help. :D

Chris P Bacon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

((((Hug))))

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seeing your child suffer must be any parent's worst nightmare.

I am full of admiration for what you write, not just because you are coping, as you say, was there ever any other option, but because you seem very in touch with the way you feel about the whole situation.

Copying may have been the only option, but you still have to be strong enough to manage it. It is not easy and not a given.

Something like this, a serious diagnosis for a loved one particularly a child, involves a similar process of loss and grief as a bereavement. Psychologists state that we pass through various stages during our grief process: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance. The sequence in which we experience these and the period of time we each spent in each stage. differs from person to person, in accordance with our personalities and circumstances.

In your case, you have had to be strong for your child. So I suspect that you have had little time to properly grieve and are still working your way through the various stages, probably shifting from one to the other and back again. Hence the emotional roller coaster.

Things will get better with time.

Diabetes is a serious condition but it is one that is manageable, can be controlled and does allow for a full and satisfying life as long as you respect and play by its rules.

Please stick around and use this forum to rant or seek advice from its many knowledgable members who are all too happy to share the benefit of their experience.

If you search I am sure there is even a section of the forum just for parents.

Welcome and best wishes

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, so sorry to hear of your emotional roller coaster. It's like someone has hit you with a a blunt instrument and each time you try to get up, down you go again and again. It's can be a huge shock,with confusion, frustration,heartache and some feel as though it's like a bereavement. Honestly, children cope very well in the end, they're tough little people and in time it wont feel so traumatic.
I felt very similar to you when my 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter was diagnosed :(
There are parents on here who have gone through similar feelings and the forum offers lots of support and helpful advice :)
Don't beat yourself up, as a family you can get through it and when you see how well your son will get on with it. remember he's the same great kid and when you see what he can achieve, you will both be chuffed to bits. Type 1 is manageable and honestly there is light at the end of the tunnel:) just give it time.

Take care of your self, good luck and I wish you and your son all the best.

RRB x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Seeing your child suffer must be any parent's worst nightmare.

I am full of admiration for what you write, not just because you are coping, as you say, was there ever any other option, but because you seem very in touch with the way you feel about the whole situation.

Copying may have been the only option, but you still have to be strong enough to manage it. It is not easy and not a given.

Something like this, a serious diagnosis for a loved one particularly a child, involves a similar process of loss and grief as a bereavement. Psychologists state that we pass through various stages during our grief process: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance. The sequence in which we experience these and the period of time we each spent in each stage. differs from person to person, in accordance with our personalities and circumstances.

In your case, you have had to be strong for your child. So I suspect that you have had little time to properly grieve and are still working your way through the various stages, probably shifting from one to the other and back again. Hence the emotional roller coaster.

Things will get better with time.

Diabetes is a serious condition but it is one that is manageable, can be controlled and does allow for a full and satisfying life as long as you respect and play by its rules.

Please stick around and use this forum to rant or seek advice from its many knowledgable members who are all too happy to share the benefit of their experience.

If you search I am sure there is even a section of the forum just for parents.

Welcome and best wishes

Pavlos

I totally agree with your wonderful post.:) I was in bits when my granddaughter was diagnosed, but her mum and dad took it better than me and were calm and in control of the situation. My granddaughter has grown into a happy and healthy 6 year old who is like any other child playing in the school playground, with that lovely smile, including the gappy missing baby teeth ,<3

RRB:)

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to have this problem for a year and even sometimes now, I sink in and out of depression, but it does get better but only if you make it. I felt the same, who wants to be around someone whos miserable I thought! I found it good to tell myself to be happy, sometimes force yourself to loosen up, laugh at a joke you wouldn't usually and it actually makes you feel happier, involve yourself in conversation and surround yourself with people, because you're not alone in this. When you do feel sad let yourself only feel sad for a certain amount of time because of course it isn't good to keep it all blocked up inside you. Let yourself cry, or feel sorry for yourself for ten minutes then get on with something else, watch tv, listen to music, watch a film, see friends, spend time with family, indulge in carbs! I found I could release my stress and anxiety through exercise and now I go to the gym regularly, find something that works for you...

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to have this problem for a year and even sometimes now, I sink in and out of depression, but it does get better but only if you make it. I felt the same, who wants to be around someone whos miserable I thought! I found it good to tell myself to be happy, sometimes force yourself to loosen up, laugh at a joke you wouldn't usually and it actually makes you feel happier, involve yourself in conversation and surround yourself with people, because you're not alone in this. When you do feel sad let yourself only feel sad for a certain amount of time because of course it isn't good to keep it all blocked up inside you. Let yourself cry, or feel sorry for yourself for ten minutes then get on with something else, watch tv, listen to music, watch a film, see friends, spend time with family, indulge in carbs! I found I could release my stress and anxiety through exercise and now I go to the gym regularly, find something that works for you.